Honored Contributor

OCTOGENARIAN ANGIE DICKENSON IN FASCINATING INTERVIEW

[ Edited ]

angie-dickinson-interview-promo.jpg

I'm guessing that many of you saw this interview when it came out 3 years ago (when I think she was about 87).  I had not seen it till now, and am wowed.

She is stunning--  interesting and alert, and so very beautiful, as always.  I like the combination here of her devastating candor on the one hand, and a certain discreet reserve.

Mo Rocca in my opinion, missed some chances for follow up questions.  But that may be more the fault of clumsy editing.  For example, her saying that she was concerned about liking or not liking John Wayne because of world view differences between them.  I could be wrong, but think she was prepared to say that she found him delightful, and expand on that perhaps--  but  Rocca just let that drop.

1712305.jpg

There's always been a little sadness or wistfulness in her persona, and that comes through in her discussion of Nikki, her beloved daughter with Asperger's who committed suicide at forty.  And the famous marriage to Burt Bacharach, much touted at the time, was obviously the source of deep disappointment.

But her spirited, highly individual approach to life is very much there.  Just google:

Angie Dickinson on "The Rat Pack", "Police Woman" and #Me Too   Youtube

Or I will link it in my following post.

Honored Contributor

Re: OCTOGENARIAN ANGIE DICKENSON IN FASCINATING INTERVIEW

The Angie Dickinson interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57HxMTXcwqk

Honored Contributor

If Rocca did let it drop that John Wayne turned out to be a nice person, that is a fine example of how a "news" reporter makes a story what he wants it to say, not what was said.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell - Thank you for sharing this! I can't wait to read it. I have always admired her - she never seems to age. And she must have so many stories from way back. I'm glad you found this gem!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom  It's a youtube interview from a CBS show, nothing to read. 

The narrator says Angie was born in 1931 so she's 90 or 91, depending on what month.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee I believe the op is saying that the interview was around 3 years ago which would have Angie in her 80's as she is 90 or 91 now.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

@Oznell  I watched the interview, and I didn't see any evidence of the assumption that Dickinson was prepared to say that John Wayne was delightful. I don't see the interviewer purposely dropping that topic or Dickinson ready to talk on about Wayne. I think she spoke professionally and respectfully.

Dickinson spoke more in-depth about Sinatra, Burt, her daughter, and her enjoyment of show business.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Sooner,   you could well be right...

@Jk9,  you are correct.  As I said in the post, I missed this interview when it appeared 3 years ago, putting her at about 87 at the time.  I so hope and trust she is just as spirited now, 3 years later!

@Desert Lily,  it's an impression, and of course I could be wrong.  It cut off there rather quickly, and it seemed to me like she may have had more to say about that.  Especially based on other accounts she has given, like in Express online, where she expressed fond memories of working with Wayne, and called him "adorable", among other things.  

I'm very conscious of interviewers not intuitively following up on possible rich veins of reminiscence, I guess, and find that some of them miss out on fun or interesting nuggets.  I'm all for getting as much on the record as possible from these denizens of classic Hollywood....

I did end up finding something that I originally got off-kilter.  She was apparently not worried about NOT liking Wayne--  interestingly, she was concerned about liking him and that might be a problem, given her and her parents' differences with him, ha.  Who knew?       

Respected Contributor

@Oznell Love seeing this interview.  Thanks for posting!

Honored Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

@Pearlee I believe the op is saying that the interview was around 3 years ago which would have Angie in her 80's as she is 90 or 91 now.  

@Jk9  Yes I understood that. And when I heard the exact year of birth in the video I piped in with it too.