Honored Contributor

Re: O.J. and Nicole:An American Tragedy

I absolutely did not "dismiss" O.J.'s violence. We were discussing whether O.J. COULD rip her jeans, not any crime and punishment associated with that incident. You are insisting on finding fault with my post where there is none rather than admit you misread my post

I am in my late 60s and am not a "girl" as you have erroneously addressed me.

@Tinkerbll44
Honored Contributor

@ Pearley 

@Mz iMac It wasn't as bad when Nicole was 18 yrs old which is when the Jean's incident happened, not when he killed her.
And he was driven by lust. He tore the jeans.

I didn't "misread" anything.   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbll44. ? I NEVER SAID I didn't write that. I was convincing Mz iMac that OJ was strong enough to tear the jeans. The earlier part of my sentence was telling Mz iMac that OJ's arthritis wasn't as bad as it was later, another reason he was able to tear the jeans. NOBODY was being dismissive because we were not talking about any possible crime.. We were discussing tearing the jeans.

Now just STOP already! You are obsessing with misconstruing my post and having to have the last word.
Honored Contributor

I googled, trying to find out when Simpson was diagnosed with arthritis, but couldn't find anything as the trial came up.  

Simpson had such upper body strength, and crazed with control over Nicole would have given him even more strength, adrenaline elevated, etc.

I have thought from the trial that if Nicole hadn't dated until after the divorce, she might still be alive.  He told her not to until after the divorce.  I would have been scared enough, thinking about my children potentially growing up without me, to wait, it was a matter of some months before it was final. She certainly knew his violence potential.  He told her he would kill her if she didn't wait, no one would ever find her body, and he would get away with it.

Nicole knew his buttons, and seemed to have continued pushing them,  if only she had installed cameras as her friends advised her to.  She ignored many red flags and absolute warnings, why didn't Nicole believe his warnings, mind boggling.

I am not blaming the victim, it took two to develop the issues between them, and neither seemed to have learned anything in order to prevent the tragedy that occurred.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@Mz iMacIt wasn't as bad when Nicole was 18 yrs old which is when the Jean's incident happened, not when he killed her.

@Pearlee   I tend to think rather than lust, it was an issue of control, no one says no to him, which Nicole most likely did.  

Honored Contributor

Any woman taking beatings and staying with the man needs more help than he does.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl. I cannot agree with your 'which she most likely did" statement. We weren't there and have no idea what was likely or not. As for the lust, control is not mutually exclusive with it, you needn't say it is one OR the other.
My "lust" comment was in regard to him tearing her jeans off only and yes, I think lust was a driving force. It was their first date when she was 18 yrs old and they had been flirting with each other for a while where she was a server (at a restaurant, Dairy Queen? Can't remember where now.) I stand by all my responses on this thread however much they have been misinterpreted or challenged.
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
@Mz iMacIt wasn't as bad when Nicole was 18 yrs old which is when the Jean's incident happened, not when he killed her.

@Pearlee   I tend to think rather than lust, it was an issue of control, no one says no to him, which Nicole most likely did.  

@mousiegirl 

Of course it was, and you'd think most women would understand that.   Guess not.

Esteemed Contributor

I was at work when the trial ended.  Saw it on the TV, along with several work colleagues.  

I remember being so amazed at the verdict!!  I was absolutely surprised and saddened. And had to walk away from some friends who were clapping and happy!!

Respected Contributor

Amazes me how so many remember all the details of this case when the years have rolled by. Interesting reading all the comments.