Honored Contributor

Notre-Dame Cathedral's Restoration

Just watched a documentary about the restoration of Nortre-Dame Cathedral.

They are finding out how well the cathedral was built. The innovative items that were used. They uses "staples" to hold the stones together. So the stone did not move at the top. And they used "recycled" metal to make all the "staples".

They found out all the innovative things because they are rebuilding the Cathedral from the bare walls.

And after the French Revolution many of the statues were broken and the Cathedral was used as a warehouse.

And during a previous restoration the Architect had made revisions to the Rose Stained Glass Window. His revisions made the stained glass window stronger. And the Rose Stained Glass Window survived the fire.

They are trying to get the restoration finished by 2024. France has the Summer Olympics.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Notre-Dame Cathedral's Restoration

I can't imagine what a huge undertaking this must be. The restoration is said to be painstakingly accurate to the original; can't wait to see it when it is finished. 

Valued Contributor

I also saw that program.  The entire country is taking it as a point of pride ,honor, and duty to get the cathedral rebuilt and restored the right (authentic) way.  The lumbermen who are cutting the French timber to the exacting specifications and are doing it all free of charge.  They want to feel they have made their contribution to something that is so essential to the national identity.  It is truly touching and awe inspiring to see the craftmanship and the dedication that is being invested in this project.

Honored Contributor

If you enjoy this, you would be fascinated by Edward Rutherfurd's historical novel Sarum.  It chronicles a lot of the cathedral  building in England and follows the families of the builders. 

It is one of my favorite books on many levels.

Super Contributor

@Sooner, Thanks for the recommendation, just ordered Sarum.

Respected Contributor

I watched and found it fascinating.

Respected Contributor

Darn! I wish I'd known about it--I would have enjoyed seeing it. Any chances of a re-broadcast or is there a video on line?

Honored Contributor

@charsha wrote:

@Sooner, Thanks for the recommendation, just ordered Sarum.

@charsha I hope you love it!  We read it many many years ago, and still talk about parts of it.  Let me know what 'ya think!  I loved the way it carried through the years and the culture and the families.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Darn! I wish I'd known about it--I would have enjoyed seeing it. Any chances of a re-broadcast or is there a video on line?

Go to PBS

.org/wgbh/nova/videos/episodes
It is about the 5th episode