Esteemed Contributor

You may know him from movies like "Dead Ports Society", or from the television show "St. Elsewhere" .

norman-lloyd-opening-credits-st-elsewhere.png

Anyway, I was watching an episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" , episode titled "The Chase", and Norman Lloyd guest starred in it.

I recognized him from "St. Elsewhere" , but couldn't remember the name of his character on it.

He played as Dr. Daniel Auchlander, who had a son who was autistic.

I thought that Norman had passed away.

I was shocked and very pleasantly surprised to find out that he is still very much alive at 105 years old!

G-d bless him!

He must be doing something right!

His birthday is November 8, 1914.

What's even more surprising is he was driving until 2014, six years ago, at the age of 99, and it was only because his son insisted upon it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Super Contributor

I thought Ed Flanders was the father of the autistic son.  I loved that show.  Wish it was on some of the old tv stations.

Super Contributor

What an interesting man!  I saw him do an extended interview with Robert Osborne on TCM when Norman Lloyd was about 102.  He was witty, sharp and delightful.  What great old Hollywood stories he had to share!  And I am pretty sure that he said he was still playing tennis at that time.  He played a fine bad guy hit man in at least one Hitchcock movie, maybe Sabateur.  

TCM has repeated that interview a couple of times.  I hope they will show it again!

Respected Contributor

@lilypadfrog 

You are correct, it was Ed Flanders. 
St Elsewhere is on Hulu, but not on any of the free channels. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lilypadfrog wrote:

I thought Ed Flanders was the father of the autistic son.  I loved that show.  Wish it was on some of the old tv stations.

@lilypadfrog 

You're right, and I am wrong.

Thank you for correcting me.😊

I mis-remembered.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Sadly, Ed Flanders who played Dr Westfall,  committed suicide. I think Norman Lloyd worked as a producer for Alfred Hitchcocks TV series. He is an amazing man!! I think TCM did an interview with him just a few years ago. His St Elsewhere character was Dr Auschlander, his character was battling liver cancer for the entire series. 

Honored Contributor

Happy to report that I recognized Norman Lloyd's name immediately as I was a huge fan of "St. Elsewhere."  Had no idea he was still alive nor that he was so wonderfully up in age.

God bless!

Respected Contributor

DH met Norman Lloyd at the TCM film festival. He said he was very friendly.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Sadly, Ed Flanders who played Dr Westfall,  committed suicide. I think Norman Lloyd worked as a producer for Alfred Hitchcocks TV series. He is an amazing man!! I think TCM did an interview with him just a few years ago. His St Elsewhere character was Dr Auschlander, his character was battling liver cancer for the entire series. 

@Shelbelle  - My memory is really bad. I was a huge St. Elsewhere fan, and I totally forgot that Ed Flanders shot himself in real life when he was in his early sixties. What a shame. I loved his character. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett