Honored Contributor

Just watched Nomadland with my husband. The movie is depressing. It's well done, and tells an important American story, but it could affect your mood. Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Actress and best director. Stars Frances McDormand. 

It's on Amazon Prime for $5.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Nomadland is depressing.

One of the things that really hit me was that while the nomads were willing to share and to help each other - they also fully expected each person to pull their own weight.

When one had a flat - it was why didn't you have a spare and/or prepare better - this is a tough life and you can't just  expect someone to be here to bail you out.

And they all worked.  This was not a movie about people complaining about being oppressed and insisting that their situation was someone else's responsibility to solve.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched it on Hulu for free. Wouldn't  pay $5 to watch it. I found it depressing and a bit boring. I fast forwarded through some of it. It was ok. I mainly watched it to see what all the hoopla was about. I find the more they rave about a movie, the chances are pretty good I won't like it.

Respected Contributor

i had been following nomads like bob wells (and others) on youtube for a year or so before the movie came out, and so i was expecting the movie to showcase all the fun times.  while it was a surprise at how heavy the movie was,  i was really happy with how it all folded out.  great movie and very well done! 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D I have to agree with you as I found it a bit depressing too.

Funny thing is I go on Youtube all the time and I'm always discovering new things.  About 6 weeks ago (before I knew about Nomadland) I discovered a whole world of Van & RV travelers.  Some young, some older and there were several older (60s & 70s) women who were single living the van life.  

These older women did it not because they were financially challenged, but instead they choose to do it as an adventure.  Some of them had very expensive custom vans with all sorts of nice (for such a small space) living accommodations with small custom kitchens, storage, sleeping arrangements and some even had a small bath...all in a van!  I found these women very uplifting because they choose adventure while they could do so.

I felt really bad for a lot of those in Nomadland.  I read the book too and found it difficult to hear about the horrible working conditions that many have to endure to get by.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw it on Hulu- while I really liked it probably much of it's impact was lost on a tv screen. While I watched it I kept thinking 'there's so much of this country I haven't seen!' I know someone who cashed it all in, bought a second hand RV and travels the country. So from that standpoint I really enjoyed an outside view of her lifestyle. 

Respected Contributor

In the movie - which is apparently supposed to be a relatively true rendition of this life - people took to the road for various reasons.

The main character lost her job and was having financial difficulties.  Her van was not  an RV - although she had modified it and did live in it.  When it broke down, she did not have the money to fix it and without the convenient plot twist of having a sister who paid to fix it (and who even invited her to live with her - which she declined), her sisutation would have been much much worse as she couldn't get a loan otherwise and she'd have had to sell the van.

Another character went on the road after a terminal cancer diagnosis rather than end her life in a hospital.  She was enroute to Alaska when she died.

Respected Contributor

I saw it on Hulu when it first came out. 
I didn't find it that interesting. I wouldn't pay $5 to see it. 

Esteemed Contributor

After reading the comments here I'll probably never watch it since I only have regular TV. I find myself returning to TCM. I don't pay extra for that!

Respected Contributor

I watched the movie and learned about these people who live in travel trailers and roam from place to place. Most were looking for dignity and basic life needs. Finding work was part of that quest. Most made friends among others of similar circumstances.

In rural Texas we saw many job holders live in travel trailers and go from job to job. This happened as construction of wind farms were completed in one area and moved on to another site. Oil field work in far west Texas and eastern NM had the same pattern. Only difference in these folks and Nomadland is that wind farm and energy job payed a lot.