Honored Contributor

Re: Noir Love Stories On DVD, Part One

@YorkieonmyPillowwrote:

@Oznell  I think you're the first person I've "met" who knows Autumn Leaves. My favorite scene is - of course - when Joan Crawford goes out and meets Vera Miles & Lorne Greene - the 3 of them begin fighting - and Joan delivers the EPIC lines:  "Your filthy souls are too evil for hell itself!!!"

@YorkieonmyPillow  I recorded this many years ago, but havn't watched it for some years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judalinewrote:

@Oznellwrote:

Hey @GingerPeach, you have named two magnificent, iconic noirs, the kind anyone would want in their library for repeat viewing-- they are that complex, and rewarding.

"Laura" is appealing on so many levels.  Love that vanished New York it depicts, the hushed, beautiful apartments, the sophisticated social milieu, the meticulous police investigation.  Add in wonderful Dana Andrews, the haunting score, and gem-like little performances like that of Judith Anderson as the aunt with a yen for gigolo-esque Vincent Price-- how could it be better?

"Leave Her to Heaven" is such a lush, remarkably visual noir, as you note.  The settings alone are such absorbing eye-candy.  And unlike with some other suspense films, it doesn't suffer at all for being in color-- it just enhances that whole "feverish" tone of the

plot....

Great recommendations! 

I know for a fact the houses in Leave Her to Heaven are on the hookedonhouses website.

@Judaline  Love this movie, but seems we left Joan in the dust, lol.  Gene Tierney was great in this movie, and of course Laura.  There were a few others that I liked a lot, but can't remember them right now.  Loved a lot of Jane Wyman's movies, a few with Rock Hudson, etc.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

I wanted to name my daughter after that movie, @Judaline!  But I haven't memorized any dialogue yet, so you still rule when it comes to Laura!  

My BFF and I first saw this movie together. Funny how we both loved that song, went out and bought the record and of course we're still in love with it. She DID name her daughter Laura.