Honored Contributor

Re: Noir Love Stories On DVD, Part One

@Oznellwrote:

@Sweet_Serenity, oh, I had never seen that one of her---  wow!   I'm insane about Art Deco, and that photograph could not be more glamorously Deco.  Norma Shearer is one actress I have come to love and appreciate more and more....

Fascinated by her! Of course, Irving Thalberg. Irving passed so young. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Sudden Fear and Female on the Beach, two wonderful movies by Joan, don't think she received enough credit for the latter.

Honored Contributor

I also liked Cape Fear, the 1962 version with Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, Polly Bergen, and Lori Martin as the young daughter.  It's not a love story, per se, although Peck and Bergen had what seemed like a solid marriage.  I strongly identified with Lori Martin, the young Elizabeth Taylor look-a-like because she was also starring in the tv series of National Velvet, a must for me and my friends at the time.

Image result for cape fear film noir?  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Oh, boy, Robert Mitchum in "Cape Fear"--   chilling!

Honored Contributor

I belong to Netflix by mail. For I think a little over 12 dollars ("twelve dollars and change!") I get all the movies I want. After it's viewed, send it back and the next one from your Queue arrives in 2 days. I love it. I can get Sudden Fear.

Sudden Fear

Esteemed Contributor

51De67xzKhL._SY445_.jpg

I like Dark Passage a lot; I have this on DVD.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl, you are so right-- thanks for that discerning comment.  Whatever Crawford's flaws, she eventually sort of cornered the market on playing these needy, magnetic, vital, possibly neurotic, fascinating women, often well into middle age.  Sometimes she verged on "campy", but she was compelling to watch...

I'm thinking also of Torch Song, Autumn Leaves, Humoresque, among others.  Oh, has anyone seen, I think it was called "Queen Bee"?   She was more than a bit of a "handful" in that one!

Honored Contributor

@Oznellwrote:

Hey @GingerPeach, you have named two magnificent, iconic noirs, the kind anyone would want in their library for repeat viewing-- they are that complex, and rewarding.

"Laura" is appealing on so many levels.  Love that vanished New York it depicts, the hushed, beautiful apartments, the sophisticated social milieu, the meticulous police investigation.  Add in wonderful Dana Andrews, the haunting score, and gem-like little performances like that of Judith Anderson as the aunt with a yen for gigolo-esque Vincent Price-- how could it be better?

"Leave Her to Heaven" is such a lush, remarkably visual noir, as you note.  The settings alone are such absorbing eye-candy.  And unlike with some other suspense films, it doesn't suffer at all for being in color-- it just enhances that whole "feverish" tone of the

plot....

Great recommendations! 

I know for a fact the houses in Leave Her to Heaven are on the hookedonhouses website.

Honored Contributor

@Oznellwrote:

@mousiegirl, you are so right-- thanks for that discerning comment.  Whatever Crawford's flaws, she eventually sort of cornered the market on playing these needy, magnetic, vital, possibly neurotic, fascinating women, often well into middle age.  Sometimes she verged on "campy", but she was compelling to watch...

I'm thinking also of Torch Song, Autumn Leaves, Humoresque, among others.  Oh, has anyone seen, I think it was called "Queen Bee"?   She was more than a bit of a "handful" in that one!

@Oznell  Yes, I saw and recorded Queen Bee as I did with so many other movies, decades ago, and have you seen Berserk and Straight Jacket?  Let's not forget Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.  She really was the best dramatic actress of her time, but then there were quite a few others.

Honored Contributor

hahaha!@homegirl, I missed this by a hair about hookedonhouses. But see, Laura is MY favorite movie so you can't have it. Favorite song, favorite actress. I know the dialogue by heart. We can still be friends, tho.