Valued Contributor
Just saw it..I didn't learn the bible as a Baltimore Catecism Catholic,I do know a little of the Noah saga, but it was pretty awful..my husband only gave it 1 star only..don't want to spoil it, in hindsight, would not waste over 2 hours of my day in the theater..
Honored Contributor

I won't waste my time or money. It is totally contrary to the Biblical account. I'm sure the special effects are stupendous. If they would have followed Scripture, they could have had a blockbuster rather than a disaster.

Frequent Contributor

It was good. Yes a little violent, yes a little creative artistic license but if you read about Noah in the Bible it was very close. Any film, project, etc.based on the Bible (loosely or not) is a positive. It gets people talking and perhaps opening the Bible. We need much more of this in today's world.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't take this as a bash, but I just had to smile when the OP said she didn't want to spoil it. Does the ship not make it? Because that would be a spoiler!! Smile

Seriously, I don't know if I will see it or not - the reviewer I watch gave it a C grade, and we usually see eye to eye. He said the director is a devote athiest and wasn't too concerned about following the Bible exactly. But, my reviewer also said that it made him go back and read that part of the Bible. I do believe that, in many cases, a movie will inspire people to read or learn more about the original source material. Also, although I agree that I would prefer something a little closer to the original, I do appreciate that these religious movies are still being made - and made in such a way to bring in a larger audience. As long as the basic meaning is conveyed (and there are not space aliens!), I think it's a good thing.

Super Contributor

I think Aronofsky kept true to certain aspects; the size of the ark is supposed to be accurate.

The Noah story is only a few chapters, so there's lots of room for creativity.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/29/2014 Alter Ego said:

Don't take this as a bash, but I just had to smile when the OP said she didn't want to spoil it. Does the ship not make it? Because that would be a spoiler!! Smile

Seriously, I don't know if I will see it or not - the reviewer I watch gave it a C grade, and we usually see eye to eye. He said the director is a devote athiest and wasn't too concerned about following the Bible exactly. But, my reviewer also said that it made him go back and read that part of the Bible. I do believe that, in many cases, a movie will inspire people to read or learn more about the original source material. Also, although I agree that I would prefer something a little closer to the original, I do appreciate that these religious movies are still being made - and made in such a way to bring in a larger audience. As long as the basic meaning is conveyed (and there are not space aliens!), I think it's a good thing.

The director is an atheist??

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor
On 3/30/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 3/29/2014 Alter Ego said:

The director is an atheist??

He's both an antheist and an strong environmentalist. He has taken more than artistic license in creating this film. The name of "God" is never mentioned even once in the film. The film is strongly pro-animal and anti-human, plus has a lot of ridiculous inclusions, such as "rock people".

Honored Contributor

I read in my St. Anthony Messenger that Russell Crowe asked the pope to please see it, but he won't. Must be pretty contradictory!

Trusted Contributor

The Pope met w/both Russell & Darren, however! Noah in the bible isn't even a few chapters, very brief. I thought it unusual the way he portrayed the Watchers, but other than that, I thought it was very respectful. Russell & Jennifer were excellent. Don't review a movie if you haven't seen it!

Respected Contributor

I think it is funny how some Christians have taken over a story from the old testament and then get upset when it is portrayed in away that they feel is not accurate. The movie is based on a ""historical story"" of the Old Testament. That has been retold in other ancient religions.

I heard it was a good movie and will be seeing it this weekend.