Honored Contributor

No ABC Airing of It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown - What?

[ Edited ]

I just saw that this Peanuts special, which normally airs on ABC twice during the Halloween season, will not air on regular tv.   This year it can only be seen streaming on Apple TV+.  

Not happy about this at all.  

Honored Contributor

Re: No ABC Airing of It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown - What?

I guess the days of just turning on the TV and seeing shows is coming to an end.  I also guess that I'll have to learn to "stream"????!!!! LOL!!

Respected Contributor

I read that, not good. I'm glad I have Apple +.

I'm wondering will the Christmas and Thanksgiving specials air on network tv?

Honored Contributor

I'm not much of a Peanuts fan, but I know lots of folks look forward to their holiday specials and it would seem this year, more than ever, they'd do something to try to accommodate viewers stuck at home and to help minimize the endless wait for series to return... Let me guess, they have another simple-minded game show ready to broadcast instead...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I'm not much of a Peanuts fan, but I know lots of folks look forward to their holiday specials and it would seem this year, more than ever, they'd do something to try to accommodate viewers stuck at home and to help minimize the endless wait for series to return... Let me guess, they have another simple-minded game show ready to broadcast instead...

@stevieb  Please no more game shows. That ridiculous one with Vanna White has been on for more years than I can count. The only one I can bear is Jeopardy and it's even time for that one to end.

Honored Contributor

I've seen it more times than care to admit so I know how it ends...LOL   I think it's getting a bit long in the tooth and ratings don't support a prime time show.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

That's too bad. I love this one and the Christmas one, doesn't matter how old I am, I still watch it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From the Apple.com press release, the reason for the change:

"Snoopy, Charlie Brown and Friends Land at Apple TV+

in Expanded Partnership with

WildBrain for New Original Shows and Specials

New deal with Peanuts Worldwide and Lee

Mendelson Film Productions also brings

beloved, classic Peanuts Specials to Apple TV+

Toronto, ON; New York, NY – October 19, 2020 –

Apple TV+ has teamed with WildBrain, along with Peanuts Worldwide and Lee Mendelson Film Productions,

to become the home for all things Peanuts,

bringing together new original series and specials, along with iconic, beloved specials to fans around the world,

all in one place.

New animated Peanuts originals coming to Apple TV+ include a second season of the Daytime Emmy-nominated Snoopy in Space, and a slate of brand-new specials that will find the Peanuts gang marking Mother’s Day, Earth Day, New Year’s Eve and Back to School – all to be produced by WildBrain’s animation studio.

The new series and specials join the previously announced The Snoopy Show, premiering February 5, 2021; a brand-new Peanuts 70th anniversary documentary film from Imagine Documentaries and WildBrain, set to premiere next year; and the Daytime Emmy Award-winning Peanuts in Space: Secrets of Apollo 10.

The original programs and new specials will also soon stream globally alongside iconic Peanuts specials, including

A Charlie Brown Christmas,

Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

and It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

The Halloween special will begin streaming globally on Apple TV+ on October 19,

and will be available for free

from October 30 until November 1 as a special treat on Apple TV+.

Just in time for US Thanksgiving, Apple TV+ will launch

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving on November 18,

and the special will be available for free

from November 25 until November 27.

The Peanuts gang will also deck the halls with the premiere of A Charlie Brown Christmas, streaming exclusively on Apple TV+ on December 4.

The holiday special will be available to customers for free

from December 11 until December 13.

Offering multi-generational viewing for children 4-11 and their caregivers, Apple TV+ is home to original series from some of today’s most trusted franchises in kids and family programming, including the Daytime Emmy Award-winning Ghostwriter and Helpsters from Sesame Workshop;

the soon to premiere reboot of the beloved, classic series Fraggle Rock from The Jim Henson Company;

newly imagined original series based on the stories and illustrations of Maurice Sendak;

and the upcoming series Doug Unplugs from DreamWorks Animation, and Stillwater from Gaumont and Scholastic... "

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

I wasn't surprised by the announcement. I expect more to follow. This is why I've recorded my favorite holiday movies/cartoons over the past few years.

I don't think I'll ever be able to drop DISH ... I've got so many of these older shows on the DVR.

Esteemed Contributor

Goodness nothing like holding classic tv hostage so people like me if we want to see got to jump through hoops. I'm too old for all this new fangled rigamaroll.