Respected Contributor

New (to me today) Food Network shows

I watched Be My Guest With Ina Garten and Mary Makes It Easy this morning.  Ina's guest was Julianne Margulies ( sorry if I misspelled her name) who cooked her recipe as Ina watched. Enjoyable but wished more cooking / recipes were featured.

I liked Mary Makes It Easy! She did "meatless Monday" recipes which looked tasty & I might try some.

Hope there will be more new, refreshed programming on Food Network. Really miss the old shows, no frantic competitions, etc.

Honored Contributor

Re: New (to me today) Food Network shows

Meatless Mondays is not new. People did MM back in the late 70's early 80's,if I remember.

Trusted Contributor

My mother did meatless Mondays in the late '40s.  I believe it began during WW 2.

Valued Contributor

I think the poster was saying that the program about Meatless Mondays was new.

Trusted Contributor

Meatless Mondays were a thing in WWII to save meat supplies for the armed services. There were ration cards, too, for some kinds of foods and commodities, so making a meatless meal kept rationed food somewhat more available. People saved them or swapped ration stamps to help their families. 

Trusted Contributor

I enjoy Mary Makes it Easy.  She has a quirky and fun way of cooking and explaining simple recipes. 

Honored Contributor

I grew up in a kosher home in a tiny town from which the only kosher meat market was 20 miles away and our refrigerator had no real freezer.  We ate meatless meals more often than not.  To this day, I still prefer carbs and veggies to meat.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Meatless Mondays is not new. People did MM back in the late 70's early 80's,if I remember.

@Group 5 minus 1 , She didn't say the subject was new, it was the program !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan