Regular Contributor

New season of Vikings SpoilerAlert!

Last night was a 2 hour season opener. The first hour was Torvi telling her son the family history, which was a nice way to refresh everyone’s memory of the past seasons.

The second hour kicked off the season with Lagertha and Bjorn in hiding after losing to Ivar and Rollo, who then tried to save them. That seemed odd because he just allied himself with Ivar. Supposedly, Rollo thinks Bjorn is his son, but I don’t recall him and Lagertha having a "thing."

They made Lagertha look pretty bad with gray hair (bad wig!). It was a bit disconcerting, however, because she has no wrinkles on her face. Age wise, you’d think she would be around 40-45 because Bjorn's son is about 7. Actually, she looked younger than Bjorn did!

It will be interesting to see how they fare in England.

Anybody else thoughts?

Dragonfly

Honored Contributor

Re: New season of Vikings SpoilerAlert!

When Ivar entered Kattegat & announced he was now the king, I found it interesting that he also said he was Ivar The Boneless.  It was the first time his "historical" name was mentioned.

When did Lagertha & Heahmund become lovers?  The last thing I remember about him from last season was him fighting on Ivar's side. confused.gif

Speaking of Lagertha.....

From the previews of future episodes, she will have worse bad hair days & looking pretty haggard & dirty w/o any signs of wrinkles appearing. Smiley LOL

Rollo aged 50 yrs from last season.  Everybody else looked the same.  I had no clue living in France would age someone so quickly. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched the first hour and enjoyed it!  Liked the review of the family history,  but really don't remember some of those scenes.  Guess they were taped for this one hour show! 

Fell asleep during the second hour...will have to catch up On Demand.  Am not sure I am going to like seeing nothing but wars.  Seen one - seen them all and that is enough for me.  I know that is how it was in real life, but I want to see more of the family conflict and family growth!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@corita wrote:

I want to see more of the family conflict and family growth!!

The family conflicts & growth are the results of the wars-brother(s) against brother(s), uncle against nephew.

No wars, then you have no conflicts or growth (in the Viking world/beliefs).

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@corita wrote:

I want to see more of the family conflict and family growth!!

The family conflicts & growth are the results of the wars-brother(s) against brother(s), uncle against nephew.

No wars, then you have no conflicts or growth (in the Viking world/beliefs).

---------------

Am sure that is true, I have read up on the history of these people.  But I don't enjoy seeing so many minutes out of each episode focusing on thousands of slashed bodies killed by thousands of 'enemies'!!   More time could be spent on the relationships or lack of thereof...

Will have to decide whether this show stays on my 'shows to watch' list!!!

Honored Contributor

I fast forward through most of the battle scenes. I'd rather not see them either. But I enjoy the rest of the shows very much. I haven't missed one yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Another Vikings fan here. I like Ivar (well, maybe not like, but I find the character interesting.} The actor does a good job portraying him. Not used to seeing Laegartha with gray hair. 

I like the recap of the last seasons in the first hour. That made it easier to catch up on the new season. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain