Honored Contributor

Re: New season of The Amazing Race starts tonight! (4/17.)

@LoriLori wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

It was a pretty good first episode. I don't think Rupert and his wife will be around for long. They really seemed out of their element. The guys who took the four hour penalty for not completing the challenge were a tad stupid. Four hours? Yeah, that'll work. Uh, no. At least in the early going Britney seems to be the brains of the Britney/Janelle team. Rachelle is still Rachelle and already starting to annoy me a bit. The one guy (Victor?) took forever to find the chocolate sandal. Statistically, he should have found it much sooner, but luck plays a big part in TAR, and he had bad luck in that leg.

@gardenman  was that medical checking that guy out?  There was a person there who they never identified.  Seemed like he truly hurt his ankle.

It was probably a producer. At the challenges they have someone from production to ensure the players know and understand the rules. In BBOTT we saw how thorough production was in making sure the players knew the rules for each comp. They spent about twenty minutes briefing the players in the DR before every comp. We see the TAR contestants reading a very brief overview, but someone from production will give them many more details off camera and make sure they understand them before the person does the challenge. In that challenge the briefing was likely done in the tent where they donned the costume. I suspect they do the same in Survivor to ensure everyone knows exactly what to do at each comp.

A few years back on TAR we had the  father on a father/son team tear his Achilles and he had to go to a hospital for attention, so I'm not sure they drag a medical team around with them. (A torn Achilles is very easy to diagnose, so if they had a medic he should have been able to diagnose it right there.) I think others have gone to hospitals for cuts, bruises, and the like also. I don't remember ever seeing anyone getting patched up on the fly, so they likely rely on local facilities for care rather than use a medic. They may have a medic at the pit stop however for both the cast and crew or maybe just a first aid kit, but from what I remember on TAR, if you get hurt, you go to a hospital for care.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

You could be right it was production but what good is a producer with no medical training?  Also BB doesn't have medical on site?  That surprises me given the physicality of so many of the challenges.

On Survivor it can take an hour to explain a challenge and they can ask questions but the difference is it is only Probst doing the talking.  Only Probst can talk to the contestants on Survivor. 

Medical examines contestants on Survivor before and after every single challenge.  If someone is hurt the doc is permitted to ask questions of the injured person like does it hurt here but notice on Survivor everything else he says is said to Probst.

Honored Contributor

Checked the ratings, they were good ratings for TAR which has people at Zap2It -- the only website where nonprofessionals can access some of the ratings for free (but not the ones buyers use)  -- the commenters are already saying keep it after Survivor!  And I agree.

And the timing, if TAR has a plan ready to go, could work.  Survivor is finishing up pre-production now and soon if not already, the contestants for the first of the two seasons they'll tape will arrive. 

If TAR can go before September we can have both and I hope it happens!

Honored Contributor

I thought it was a super fun episode.  Japan is always fun and that intersection, they've been there a few times, is always great.  Loved the chocolae sandals and "Mt. Fuji." 

I hope because this season had such high stakes for the showrunners that it's a great season despite the cast. 

Here's the thing on returnees:  The network demands them.  One of the most important jobs of a network president is to keep his or her job as network president.  Returnees make them feel warm and cozy.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@gardenman 

You could be right it was production but what good is a producer with no medical training?  Also BB doesn't have medical on site?  That surprises me given the physicality of so many of the challenges.

On Survivor it can take an hour to explain a challenge and they can ask questions but the difference is it is only Probst doing the talking.  Only Probst can talk to the contestants on Survivor. 

Medical examines contestants on Survivor before and after every single challenge.  If someone is hurt the doc is permitted to ask questions of the injured person like does it hurt here but notice on Survivor everything else he says is said to Probst.

BB is filmed on a studio lot and the studio has a nurse, but she's not on, or necessarily near, the set. They have to bring her in when there's an issue. A couple of seasons ago Christmas broke her foot horsing around in the yard and it was quite some time before the nurse could evaluate her and they got the paramedics to transport her to the hospital. Way, way back in season nine Allison had an allergic reaction (likely to an ingredient in slop) and needed an epi-pen, then while the nurse was treating her Amanda collapsed with hypoglycemia. There's often a bit of a wait for the nurse or medics to arrive in BB due to them being somewhere else on the lot.

In BBOTT Kryssie nearly bled to death (well, if you believe Kryssie, but no one does) and no medics rushed to her aid. It was a wall comp where they had to climb along a wall and Kryssie complained endlessly of the stream of blood from her hands. The camera operators kept zooming in on her hands though and there was no blood. No blood at all. She had a few blisters, but no blood. They let the comp time out before finally letting her back inside. I don't think the nurse saw her even then. 

With TAR and contestants spread out as much as they can be on some legs, you'd pretty much need medics with each team. It just isn't practical. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman  thanks.  The way you lay it out, it would be unwieldy to have medical everywhere on TAR.

Someone named their kid Christmas?  Or did this person change their name?  I'm kind of shocked that someone would name their kid Christmas.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@gardenman  thanks.  The way you lay it out, it would be unwieldy to have medical everywhere on TAR.

Someone named their kid Christmas?  Or did this person change their name?  I'm kind of shocked that someone would name their kid Christmas.

Yeah, her family named her Christmas Joye Abbott. People will name a kid anything these days.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!