Honored Contributor

New season of The Amazing Race starts tonight! (4/17.)

The new season features a cast of reality "stars" with players from Big Brother, Survivor, and TAR. It could be/should be fun. TAR casting got kind of predictable in recent years, so at least they're trying something different. I typically prefer an all new cast, but we'll see how this plays out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: New season of The Amazing Race starts tonight! (4/17.)

We have never watched a single episode of Survivor, and only a smattering on Big Brother, but haven’t missed a season of The Amazing Race.  Happy it’s back.

We’re comin’, Phil!!!!

Super Contributor

I will be watching. Love this show. It's a nice twist with people from various reality shows.

Respected Contributor

Looking forward to the show but not the cast...I didn't enjoy seeing most of them the first time & have no interest in seeing them again. I know why they use them but hope the endless retreads don't end the show, it's one of my favorites & I'll hate to see it go. 

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman  thanks. I didn't know AR started tonight.  Just set my DVR

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Looking forward to the show but not the cast...I didn't enjoy seeing most of them the first time & have no interest in seeing them again. I know why they use them but hope the endless retreads don't end the show, it's one of my favorites & I'll hate to see it go. 

It was already going to be canceled once.  The retreads are what saved it.  The ratings have been in freefall for years.

It should put up decent ratings following Survivor, which is a profit powerhouse for CBS.   One of if not the most profitable non-sports show on CBS --  taking in at minimum a mllion dollars for episode in ad sales, maybe a lot more.

But TAR never posted numbers like that nor did BB, so what happens when it's not following Survivor?  Cross our fingers.

FYI this season of TAR was taped in June of 2018.  

Honored Contributor

It's a much better time slot than Friday nights, so hopefully the ratings improve. This always feels like something of a mismatch for CBS. It often feels more like a PBS or Travel Channel type show. The Discovery Channel could also be a better fit. If CBS ever does retire it, I'd expect to see it resurface elsewhere.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

It was already going to be canceled once.  The retreads are what saved it.  The ratings have been in freefall for years.

It should put up decent ratings following Survivor, which is a profit powerhouse for CBS.   One of if not the most profitable non-sports show on CBS --  taking in at minimum a mllion dollars for episode in ad sales, maybe a lot more.

But TAR never posted numbers like that nor did BB, so what happens when it's not following Survivor?  Cross our fingers.

FYI this season of TAR was taped in June of 2018.  

I know lots of people who won't watch TAR because of the retreads & I understand it...I watched tonight & would have enjoyed seeing all new players instead of Oh No, not them again. Oh well, just hope this season is good & the show continues.

Honored Contributor

It was a pretty good first episode. I don't think Rupert and his wife will be around for long. They really seemed out of their element. The guys who took the four hour penalty for not completing the challenge were a tad stupid. Four hours? Yeah, that'll work. Uh, no. At least in the early going Britney seems to be the brains of the Britney/Janelle team. Rachelle is still Rachelle and already starting to annoy me a bit. The one guy (Victor?) took forever to find the chocolate sandal. Statistically, he should have found it much sooner, but luck plays a big part in TAR, and he had bad luck in that leg.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

It was a pretty good first episode. I don't think Rupert and his wife will be around for long. They really seemed out of their element. The guys who took the four hour penalty for not completing the challenge were a tad stupid. Four hours? Yeah, that'll work. Uh, no. At least in the early going Britney seems to be the brains of the Britney/Janelle team. Rachelle is still Rachelle and already starting to annoy me a bit. The one guy (Victor?) took forever to find the chocolate sandal. Statistically, he should have found it much sooner, but luck plays a big part in TAR, and he had bad luck in that leg.

@gardenman  was that medical checking that guy out?  There was a person there who they never identified.  Seemed like he truly hurt his ankle.