Respected Contributor

Re: New season of Call the Midwife

I've watched this show from the beginning, I think this is the best season yet.  Last night's episode was great.....can't wait to see who survives.

Valued Contributor

I think this entire season has been so dark. I'm not enjoying it as much as in the past. In prior seasons, all episodes dealt with serious topics but there was usually something lighthearted woven in. And there was always a feeling of hope. This year is just sad all the way around. We even got cheated out of Trixie's love story.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought this season was subpar; the tone was so different, it seemed to have new writers.  I even forgot to watch last night's episode.  Sad to say, I've lost interest.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I love most anything PBS and Call The Midwife is one of my favorites. Love these type of shows. Especially compared to shows like soaps and reality.

I'm with you as far as reality shows, but this show pretty much is a soap. It's a better written, better acted, less vulgar and less gratuitous soap, but is still more or less sort of soapy in its way.

@stevieb  Yes, of course you are right. It's a soap, as is Downton Abbey, Upstairs Downstairs, etc. In my opinion a British soap is not the same definition of American ones. The soaps I see on today have been on for years. In the very old days I used to watch some of them, now I would never watch them. They just seem like garbage with horrid acting and ridiculous stories compared to a good British story and acting. JMO.

Honored Contributor

I doubt Dr. Turner will die.  He is married in RL to the show's creator Heidi Thomas.  I am sure his role is secure.

I also do not think Sister Julienne is dead, either.

It would be an easy assumption that the driver of the train died.

I don't know who else in Poplar would be killed; certainly people on the ground are injured but I cannot imagine any of the main characters being killed by this train accident.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I hope that raven bit the dust!

It will be a long road back for all.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3  they are currently filming the ctm christmas show that we will see this december. there are photos online of this, and the main cast all seem to be there. i didn't care for this episode so much. i thought they 'gave away' the eventual train accident early in the show, and there was alot of rapid cutaway and other dramatic filming done that was for me, over the top for this show. i can't recall why matthew [trixie's rich man] was in poplar that night in time for the crash. he doesn't live anywhere near there, is a very busy man- he seemed out of place, and they could have easily gone down the street without him leading them. and- i have another observation [complaint] but i will spare you! yes i do pick shows apart- that said, this is a fantastic show which gives us so much historical info! Heart

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I love most anything PBS and Call The Midwife is one of my favorites. Love these type of shows. Especially compared to shows like soaps and reality.

I'm with you as far as reality shows, but this show pretty much is a soap. It's a better written, better acted, less vulgar and less gratuitous soap, but is still more or less sort of soapy in its way.

@stevieb  Yes, of course you are right. It's a soap, as is Downton Abbey, Upstairs Downstairs, etc. In my opinion a British soap is not the same definition of American ones. The soaps I see on today have been on for years. In the very old days I used to watch some of them, now I would never watch them. They just seem like garbage with horrid acting and ridiculous stories compared to a good British story and acting. JMO.

@proudlyfromNJ  American soaps are not what they used to be... At one time, I was a somewhat avid viewer, but they've all degenerated badly. Agreed, there are varying levels of soap opera, some much better than others.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shosh wrote:

@Cakers3  they are currently filming the ctm christmas show that we will see this december. there are photos online of this, and the main cast all seem to be there. i didn't care for this episode so much. i thought they 'gave away' the eventual train accident early in the show, and there was alot of rapid cutaway and other dramatic filming done that was for me, over the top for this show. i can't recall why matthew [trixie's rich man] was in poplar that night in time for the crash. he doesn't live anywhere near there, is a very busy man- he seemed out of place, and they could have easily gone down the street without him leading them. and- i have another observation [complaint] but i will spare you! yes i do pick shows apart- that said, this is a fantastic show which gives us so much historical info! Heart

@shosh   Agree-we knew some type of tragedy was about to hit Poplar and once we saw him with his vision issue early in the episode-it was clear what would happen when he left for work.

I'm not sure what Matthew is doing in Poplar other than the obvious deepening relationship with Trixie.  Always love her clothes!!

They really need to give VIolet a better wig, too. 

Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I can't believe that was the season finale already.  I wish PBS would play from the beginning this summer.  Downton Abbey was played over and over again.  I would like to see Call the Midwife from the beginning.  I did not watch the first season.  Just shows here and there.  I really started liking it last season.  First season to me seemed kind of dark, to me anyway.  I really like the show nowSmiley Happy