Honored Contributor

New list of favorite Actors and Actresses

Well this is my list.......

I started with 5 in each column...and blew that out of the water...so let's keep it reasonable, no more than 20.  Here's mine, who are yours?  Maybe there's some new ones that might be of interest to others.

Denzel Washington, Harrison Ford, Anthony Hopkins, Tommy Lee Jones.

Cate Blanchette, Helen Murren, Jessica Chastain, Sally Fields, Nicole Kidman, Helena Bonham Carter, Jessica Lange, Hillary Swank, Shirley MacLaine.

Not always the same group I choose from time to time.

How's your list?

Honored Contributor

Re: New list of favorite Actors and Actresses

[ Edited ]

Matthew McConaughey:  What you see is what you get.  No pretenses and no outlandish behavior.

Halle Berry:  Just because she is the most beautiful actress of this time of my life.

Honored Contributor

Let's see, mine are almost all from the classic age.  These aren't necessarily ones I think are the 'greatest' actors (although some of them are), but for some reason they resonate with me.  I don't always care for the performers who are considered the most iconic for their period. 

Barbara Stanwyck, Bette Davis, Claudette Colbert, Joan Bennett, Myrna Loy, Claire Trevor, Ida Lupino, Marie Windsor, Doris Day, Deborah Kerr 

Cary Grant, James Cagney, James Stewart, Fred Astaire, Joel McCrea, Laurence Olivier, John Wayne, Richard Widmark, John Garfield, Dana Andrews, Zachary Scott

I know I'll remember more later!

Of modern, young actors,  Eddie Redmayne is hugely impressive.

Of not-young, but contemporary actors, of course, Gary Oldman and Judi Dench come to mind.

Respected Contributor

Myrna Loy, Greer Garson, Doris Day, Judy Garland, Ingrid Bergman, Loretta Young, Claudette Colbert,Susan Hayward, Debbie Reynolds Katherine Hepburn.

Cary Grant, James Stewart, Fred Astaire, Monty Woolley.

Showing my age, I guess.

Honored Contributor

My list surprised even me:  None.

They are just people playing roles on screen to me.  SO, I like some in some roles and not in each other, and as people, I don't keep up with 95 percent of that. 

Honored Contributor

Bette Davis, my all time favorite.  I really enjoy almost any black and white movie.  I rarely watch new movies.  

Jimmy Stewart because he could play drama, comedy,westerns anything and was believable in any part.

There are so many I enjoy but these two came to mind firstSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Not really interested in actors and actresses beyond the 1950's, but some are excellent, just not my favorites.  

Myrna Loy, Esther Williams, Barbara Stanwyck, Marilyn Monroe, Mae West.

I like Marilyn Monroe and Mae West because I thought both were memorable characters.  Marilyn Monroe a good actress not given enough credit.  Of the group, I think Barbara Stanwyck was exceptional.  

Robert Montgomery, William Powell.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Let's see, mine are almost all from the classic age.  These aren't necessarily ones I think are the 'greatest' actors (although some of them are), but for some reason they resonate with me.  I don't always care for the performers who are considered the most iconic for their period. 

Barbara Stanwyck, Bette Davis, Claudette Colbert, Joan Bennett, Myrna Loy, Claire Trevor, Ida Lupino, Marie Windsor, Doris Day, Deborah Kerr 

Cary Grant, James Cagney, James Stewart, Fred Astaire, Joel McCrea, Laurence Olivier, John Wayne, Richard Widmark, John Garfield, Dana Andrews, Zachary Scott

I know I'll remember more later!

Of modern, young actors,  Eddie Redmayne is hugely impressive.

Of not-young, but contemporary actors, of course, Gary Oldman and Judi Dench come to mind.

@Oznell   Oh, those are all my all-time favorites but in contemporary life, it has to be Matthew & Halle.

Super Contributor

Claudette Colbert, Joseph Cotten, Jennifer Jones, Irene Dunne, Greer Garson, Bette Davis, Cary Grant, Dana Andrews, Gary Cooper., Walter Pidgeon....can't forget my Soap world....Susan Seaforth Hayes and Bill Hayes Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me Modern Day:

Actress:

Meryl Streep

Viola Davis

Cate Blanchette

Kate Winslet

Nicole Kidman

Cicely Tyson

Rachel McAdams

Jessica Chaistain

Actors:

Denzel Washington

Morgan Freeman

Michael Fassbender

Anthony Hopkins

Tom Hanks

Tommy Lee Jones

Eddie Redmayne

Edward Norton

I am sure there are more when I have time to really think about it, but these are the ones that come to mind!