Honored Contributor

Re: New comedy "Call your mother"

@chiclet wrote:

@violann wrote:

DH and I have forced ourselves to watch the Ted Danson one THREE TIMES, and last night was the finale for us.

I like almost all the actors (except the daughter whom I think was just miscast) but there must be something off about the direction, because they all look, sound, and move like not very well directed high school level actors.

Unfortunate. I hope SOMEBODY liked them. And what do I Know, anyway. The one about the store has been on for 3 (or 4?) years and we haven't watched a single episode through, either changing the station or falling asleep about 10 minutes in.

I agree about this show.  I don't think I can do a second show.  I have not liked Ted Danson's shows since Cheers.  

I LOVED Becker, and so did DH. Has he done 2 since then, or is this one his third? He's worthy of better.

Valued Contributor

I haven't been able to stand any "comedy" shows in years.  They all seem so poorly written and just plain stupid. 

I found Call Your Mother particularly dumb and Mr. Mayor no better.  Then I tried Superstore for the first time and didn't last 5 minutes.  That last one was trying so hard to be relevant and I just found it annoying.  They reminded me why I avoid sitcoms.

I think the last sitcom I watched and enjoyed was Seinfield, so many moons ago.

Trusted Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza Love Seinfeld. We always quote them. Still enjoy reruns. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

I LOVED Becker, and so did DH. Has he done 2 since then, or is this one his third? He's worthy of better.

If you have cable, you will find Becker episodes on the Antenna channel, around 10 or 11 PM.   Most days, two episodes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1  Thanks for mentioning Sherri Shepherd.  Now that I know she's in it, I won't go searching for it.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

@Dusty1  Thanks for mentioning Sherri Shepherd.  Now that I know she's in it, I won't go searching for it.  

There's a fun little game show I enjoy watching where there is a six comic panel and two contestants.  Sometimse Sherri is on it and I don't know what her deal is but she is just short of vile with hitting on the very good looking host, who is married!    I'm not miss prim and proper or anything but that really bugs me.

Trusted Contributor

I tried to like Call me Kat, the Mayor and  call your mother. I just never laughed. 

Regular Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I try to give every comedy 3 chances to grow on me and learn the characters.  I really like Kiera Sedwick and she did a great job but a mother who cannot let go of her grown children and make a life of her own is not exactly a new premise.  I think maybe the role could have been casted better.  Oh well it was just not funny to me.  I will give it another chance.

Definitely off my list.  Made it up to the second commercial.  

Esteemed Contributor

I also have enjoyed Kyra in the past, but will not be watching this show.  Kyra seemed like she was acting in a high school  presentation. The 'kids' were not that likable and the dialogue too predictable.

I don't like many sitcoms...mainly because of the ridiculous dialogue and somewhat stilted acting!

Respected Contributor

I missed this one, am sorry these reviews here are less than stellar as I'd had hopes for this one.  After 2020, I don't want "normal", I want ridiculously funny and the writers have that responsibility.  I feel sorry for the actors, they deliver the lines best they can.

I did enjoy the first Mr. Mayor, will need to play catch-up.

I've been streaming Netflix lately, missing these shows.