Honored Contributor

Re: New Spanish Target Commercial with Rita Moreno

@GingerPeach

I always knew about the cc trick.  I use it for Scandal since the characters especially Olivia Pope are fast talkers.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@GingerPeach

I always knew about the cc trick.  I use it for Scandal since the characters especially Olivia Pope are fast talkers.

I use CC a lot, but not always.  And I didn't want to leave anyone out who'd posted on the thread, @Mz iMac

Hope your day is a good one!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Unless I am in a foreign country or watching a Spanish speaking station, I do not "get" why I would or should see a commercial in Spanish.

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

I cannot understand Target's motive with showing this on English speaking channels, unless they are trying to prove a point, this should be for a Spanish speaking TV channel only, IMO!  I really don't care though, I am no longer a shopper at Target for personal reasons!

Last year, Cadillac had a beautiful ad featuring Edith Piaf singing Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien and I don't remember a single person complaining that it should have only been played on French speaking channels.

I don't need to be able to understand the words to a song to like it or appreciate it. Many songs don't even have words. I have an iPod full of music, including songs in French, Italian, Portuguese, Korean, Japanese, and more. I have lots of African and Afro-Cuban songs because I love the rhythms. Plus, Rita Moreno is AMAZING!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach, I use CC mostly on Masterpiece, I have a hard time understanding certain Brits accent, but for a Target commercial, no thank you, I am no longer a Target customer, so I don't care what they are selling!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

Can someone please translate this for me!!!  I love the beat and love the video!

Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvfHrofSCAk

This was posted on Sunday. The very first comment on the YouTube link right now is a translation someone posted on Tuesday.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach most of the time I feel invisible on this board so thank you for taking the time to post all those names, including mine. 

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

Hi Tique!  

I just wanted to say hi to you so you wouldn't feel invisible.  I understand.  I think we all feel that way sometimes.  Smiley Happy  

BTW, I liked your story very much!  I lived in Europe for a few years and found people to be very gracious like that.  Unfortunately, some of the 'Ugly American' types got all bent out of shape when others didn't speak English.  I can't tell you how many times I heard ignorant proclamations like 'I'm American - I have rights' or 'I can't believe they don't speak English'.   (embarrassed!!)  

As to the rest of it, I'll use restraint and shut my mouth now.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@lovestopaint wrote:

THIS IS AMERICA ...WE SPEAK ENGLISH HERE !!

The United States of America does not have an official language. 

Honored Contributor

I think the US should have an official language and it should be English.  However, people should be free to speak whatever language they like .  And I do think, as it was many years ago, you should have a basic understanding of the English language before you are granted citizenship. Diversity is great, but an official language creates unity.  And unity is as important as diversity.