Occasional Contributor

Re: New Spanish Target Commercial with Rita Moreno

the examples of the irish or germans don't make sense-those were foreign languages. spanish is native to the united states. so... maybe you should learn it, or at least not get upset when you hear people speak it in a store or on tv. 

Occasional Contributor

not upset. the attitude of some towards spanish is not surprising. I do have a question for you, though. What do you imagine making English the official language of the US changing? Would a private company no longer be able to boradcast a spanish commercial? Would people not be allowed to speak spanish in stores? Would emergency services no longer have to have information avaialiable in spanish or whatever other language is prevalent in a particular city in this country? Just curious how that works out in this country.

Honored Contributor

I do like the commercial because it's fun, upbeat, colorful and they use a variety of ages and body types in it.  Inclusive is good.  As for the language, the Spanish does not get in the way of the message.  Target.   I don't mind Spanish at all because, like it or not, we are bilingual country.  Perhaps you don't see it if you live in small town in the middle of nowhere.  But on the coasts and in any city of any size; you see and hear spanish all around you.  And I'm okay with that because Spanish was the very first European langauage spoken in the New World.  Hellllloooooooo   Spain explored and settled Florida well over 150  years before the the Pilgirms set sail.  Hispanics are now the nation's largest minority and the population is growing.  So, we're going to see many more commercials like the Target one. 

Occasional Contributor

this article on the myth of speedy english language aquisition by early germann immigrants might interest you.    http://news.wisc.edu/study-debunks-myth-that-early-immigrants-quickly-learned-english/   

"n many of the original German settlements in the mid-1800s from southeastern Wisconsin to Lake Winnebago and the Fox Valley, the researchers found that German remained the primary language of commerce, education and religion well into the early 20th century, Salmons says. Some second- and even third-generation German immigrants who were born in Wisconsin were still monolingual in German as adults. "  - See more at: http://news.wisc.edu/study-debunks-myth-that-early-immigrants-quickly-learned-english/#sthash.JD2q4K...

Esteemed Contributor

@Lola123 wrote:

the examples of the irish or germans don't make sense-those were foreign languages. spanish is native to the united states. so... maybe you should learn it, or at least not get upset when you hear people speak it in a store or on tv. 

---------

You are going overboard with this. You are bending over backwards to accommodate the Hispanics. No one is upset except maybe you. I welcome any legal immigrant but they have to learn English just like I did. I don't have to learn their language. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Occasional Contributor

i'm not upset, am just trying to spread some knowledge. it seems the people who are upset are the ones who are angry that target has some spanish-language ads on mainstream tv, well, the thing is, mainstream america is becoming more mixed and more latino again.  by the way, many hispanics are native americans or are citizens already, and yes, they speak spanish, a language that was in this country before english. no one is going to force you to learn spanish. but if you are under 60 years old, you might want to try bc the face of this nation is turning brown again and nothing is going to change that, not even banning spanish commercials from english tv stations. sorry.

Honored Contributor

You're trying to "spread some knowledge"? To the posters on this thread? The ones that had different viewpoints than you? I wouldn't call that spreading some knowledge. Everyone here is educated thank you.

Occasional Contributor

Education is lacking if one thinks Spanish is a foreign language in the United States or if one believes think German immigrants in the olden days quickly learned English. Facts are important. I share them when I can.

Respected Contributor

Ohhhhh Target. Sigh.

Ever ready to be all inclusive when, in fact, I couldn't care less, I just want your shelves to be stocked.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

I've seen tv commercials for popcorn, ice cream and supermarkets that have used the songs, La Bamba, Besame Mucho and La Vie En Rose.  These are just a few examples, and I can vaguely remember Italian opera being used to see Dove Bars and pasta sauce as well.  No one complained in any of those instances, so I have to believe this is not about speaking english in America, but more about people's other issues with Target.