Regular Contributor

Re: New Sopranos show will be on HBO Max

@Mindy D wrote:

In October, there will be a prequel of the Sopranos. It will feature the beginning of Tony Soprano's mob career.Tony will be played by James Gandolfini's son Michael and Vera Famiga will play his mother. 

Mindy - Thanks for the heads up - will definitely watch.  I really enjoyed the series, and it will be interesting to see the beginnings of Tony Soprano.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Forgot to add that we've been watching LilyHammer on Netflix.  It stars Steven Van Zant from The Sopranos (and guitarist for E Street Band).  It's along the same story line.  He's a mobster who turned and went to LilyHammer living under a different name.  Anyone, in the episode we watched last night, the Paulie character from the Sopranos was on and so was his wife (who also played his wife on The Sopranos).  There's only 3 seasons of LilyHammer.

@ScrapHappy 

paulie on the sopranos never had a wife.....

Not Paulie's wife....Steven Van Zandt's wife.  His real wife played his wife in The Sopranos.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always enjoyed gangster movies depicting the Mafia, organized crime and law enforcement trying to nab the lawbreakers.  So much of it is rooted in U.S. history.

My addiction dates  way back to the semi-fictional  TV show "Untouchables' about U.S. Treasury agent Eliot Ness (who was a real federal agent in life)  fighting to bring Chicago bootlegger Al Capone to justice during the Prohibition years.

I finally saw all episodes of The Sopranos long after the series had already aired.  Also love the movie "Good Fellas" about the Mafia, starring at least a few (I'm sure) of the same guys who are in this new movie.  "The Godfather" is another good one, if you happen to share my bizarre affinity for ruthless  guys.

On the complete opposite side of the TV fare spectrum, I've lately discovered and am catching up on  the long-running series "Jade Fever" about a family which does jade mining in British Columbia, Canada.

The mining family gets its funding from Chinese investors.  Jade is highly prized in China, and a major percentage of jade comes from British Columbia where the family has lived and worked for 35 years.

It received an award for  most realistic show from the Canadian TV award organization and is somewhat fascinating and instructive about  mining precious natural materials.

Trusted Contributor

@cantdrive55 wrote:

@feline groovy  Thank you for the link. It took my breath away to see Michael Gandolfini's resemblance to his father. 
I watched The Sopranos after it's original broadcast and thought James Gandolfini was absolutely phenomenal. Yeah, the violence and the language were rough, but for me,  everything paled in comparison to watching his portrayal of Tony Soprano. 
I'll look forward to seeing the movie. 

@cantdrive55 I thought the same thing! Just looking at Michael's eyes! I cannot wait to see this movie. I think I would like to see this in the theater. Would love to see/hear reactions of others while watching. 

Valued Contributor

I've never watched it either. So you're not the only person on the planet who hasn't seen it! LOL

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 From what you described as your interests, I've got to ask- have you watched Sons of Anarchy? It was on for 7 seasons on FX and ended in 2013. I just finished watching it on Hulu. It kind of picks up where the series style of The Sopranis left off...

The premise is California motor cycle club family, with undertones of Hamlet running through the story lines. It's more violent, more bad language and more sex than The Sopranos, but has more fully developed female characters, great social commentary on people living on the fringes of mainstream society, tremendous writing and storytelling by Kurt Sutter and a truly talented group of actors. 
It took me a few episodes to get into it, it's rough, but like The Sopranos, I found myself thinking about it, and wondering what was going to happen to characters & relationships & the consequences of the choices they made.

If you decide to watch, my advice is to not look up the show online because you'll find spoilers even in a Google search!

Respected Contributor

As the Sopranos is one of my all time favorite shows, I am looking forward to the prequel in October.  The writing, acting, and characters are outstanding.

"Pine Barrens" was my favorite episode.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D 

I miss James Gandolfini as an actor. 

My three favorite series of all time (not necessarily in this order):

The Sopranos

The Wire

Deadwood

David Chase, David Simon, and David Milch respectively--

such great writers of these series.

I know the language and more of Deadwood is not for everyone,

and I can understand that.  But excellent nonetheless.

Valued Contributor

@feline groovy @cantdrive55 - I feel the same way as you.  James Gandolfini was excellent as Tony Soprano.  He was Tony Soprano. Looking forward to seeing his son's portrayal.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac - Then I'm the second - never watched this show.