Honored Contributor

New Shows Conviction and Notorious

Here is what I'm thinking!

First of all, I can't tell the difference between these two shows! LOL

I find both shows to be confusing when trying to follow the story lines.. I can't follow them.

The sound on both is so bad -- like the shows were recorded in a giant steel warehouse!

Add to this fact that the characters MUMBLE and talk so fast they are literally slinging words out there. (first noticed this "technique" in Suits. It is as if the shows are written to convey an exciting plot when one doesn't exist.

This is too bad because I like both female characters.

Will Piper Pekabo ever get a good show? (liked her in Convent Affairs)

I agree with the poster who stated that they are tired of shows which portray female leads as overbearing.

This is all for my two cents... and these are just early-season observations.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: New Shows Conviction and Notorious

I like Piper Perabo but I quit watching Notorious because I didn't like the premise of the show. I'm not really interested in scandals and manipulating the public. To me Notorious and Conviction have nothing in common. I don't find either show hard to follow though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I like Notorious and will continue watching it.  I've watched every episode of Conviction so far.  I've been trying to give it a chance, but I just don't like it.  I doubt I'll watch another episode.

I don't find them hard to follow.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I like Piper Perabo but I quit watching Notorious because I didn't like the premise of the show. I'm not really interested in scandals and manipulating the public. To me Notorious and Conviction have nothing in common. I don't find either show hard to follow though. 

I agree, I'm not seeing these two shows as very similar. One revolves around past convictions and one revolves around a Nancy Grace type TV show and current cases. Notorious involves a long-term case Conviction doesn't (yet) have a case that strings from one episode to the next. I have not found the stories difficult to follow. Of the two, I prefer Conviction. I like the characters, the stories, and the actors better.

I'm also not getting the sound problems you are, @LTT1. Both shows air on the same station - is it possible your cable company or local affiliate is having sound issues? I used to have sound problems on CBS shows where only CBS shows would have spotty sound and parts with no sound at all. Very frustrating. I had to contact the cable company and local station multiple times to complain.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue@NickNack@jaxs mom

Thank you for the tip about the sound... we will contact the cable company.

Still, maybe I'm in a strange category of people who prefer a more organized plot. 

I can follow "How to Get Away with Murder", for one.

Also. I like "Blacklist."

Maybe I like a more character development type of show.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

Here is what I'm thinking!

First of all, I can't tell the difference between these two shows! LOL

I find both shows to be confusing when trying to follow the story lines.. I can't follow them.

The sound on both is so bad -- like the shows were recorded in a giant steel warehouse!

Add to this fact that the characters MUMBLE and talk so fast they are literally slinging words out there. (first noticed this "technique" in Suits. It is as if the shows are written to convey an exciting plot when one doesn't exist.

This is too bad because I like both female characters.

Will Piper Pekabo ever get a good show? (liked her in Convent Affairs)

I agree with the poster who stated that they are tired of shows which portray female leads as overbearing.

This is all for my two cents... and these are just early-season observations.

@LTT1

I don't think the show formats are similar ...  at all.

Piper Perabo was on some talk show and explained that Notorius was based on Larry King's news producer.   She had cultivated relationships with many of the top criminal law attorneys in Los Angeles to make her the go-to person if a celebrity or client needed to go on TV and discuss and apologize for their situation.   

I don't think the leads in either show are best described as "overbearing".    I think what the writers are trying to convey is a huge sense of "urgency" with a woman in a leadership role.   Many of us would respond the same way in those circumstances.    

Personally, I find nothing attractive about passive women.

BTW ....  the sound.   It could be the network, the cable provider, the sound editing or a combination of these.    I suggest you try turning on your Close Captioned feature .... you don't need a hearing challenge to find out how darn convenient it makes viewing!   I really like seeing the dialogue when characters are speaking quickly.  

Honored Contributor

@LTT1"Convent Affairs"283917.gif

Don't think Annie/Piper was a nun in "COVERT Affairs."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac
Haha ... that is what we laughingly called that show and you caught me!
Esteemed Contributor

I don't watch Conviction.   Is it that the show about a team of lawyers working to overturn convictions? 

I do watch and like Notorious.  I think that is a pretty accurate reflection of the media in general and how everything we are fed on tv is fed to us to make us believe what they want us to believe and to make it more sensational.   I know from personal experience our local newspaper and news completely turn the news to make it more sensational without really caring about the accuracy.    One particular example with the newspaper, we were in trial and the next morning reading the paper it covered the testimony from the day before.  It wasn't even close.  When the reporter was asked what the heck he had written about, he said he submitted an accurate article but the editor "fixed" it up to make iit more interesting.

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

I don't watch Conviction.   Is it that the show about a team of lawyers working to overturn convictions? 

I do watch and like Notorious.  I think that is a pretty accurate reflection of the media in general and how everything we are fed on tv is fed to us to make us believe what they want us to believe and to make it more sensational.   I know from personal experience our local newspaper and news completely turn the news to make it more sensational without really caring about the accuracy.    One particular example with the newspaper, we were in trial and the next morning reading the paper it covered the testimony from the day before.  It wasn't even close.  When the reporter was asked what the heck he had written about, he said he submitted an accurate article but the editor "fixed" it up to make iit more interesting.

@Wsmom

Oh gees .....  Walter Cronkite would be turning over in his grave!