Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

I am a huge animal lover, but after 15 minutes i thought the show was lame.  It will be cancelled just like Imaginary Mary.  It is annoying that ABC puts these two on but cancelled Last Man Standing.  

I was interested in the show, but when I realized it was on ABC, it wasn't something I would watch.  I won't watch ABC programming at all anymore since they cancelled Last Man Standing. 

@12andcounting

You're kidding, right?       

@Tinkrbl44, ABC is one of my favorite networks I could never boycott them!

Honored Contributor

@luvzchiz wrote:

I caught this on "On Demand".  I wanted to smack the owner, Nan.  Ioved the dog. 

I think that it might reinforce poor ownership, meaning just because the dog is a cutie, it's enough to have one.

Dogs are members of the family and should be treated as such.  Clean water, food dishes, and living arrangements. 

OK, I continued to watch.  The scene where Martin gets adopted got me.

Glad that things are working out for the dog, but I still stand by my original point of the dirty food dishes.

Woof, power to the pooches.

Amen!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Foolywooly11

Your adorable avatar brought a smile to my own.  8)

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

I am a huge animal lover, but after 15 minutes i thought the show was lame.  It will be cancelled just like Imaginary Mary.  It is annoying that ABC puts these two on but cancelled Last Man Standing.  

I was interested in the show, but when I realized it was on ABC, it wasn't something I would watch.  I won't watch ABC programming at all anymore since they cancelled Last Man Standing. 

@12andcounting

You're kidding, right?       

Not even close to kidding.   Not only did they cancel a show due to political views, they lied about "not having sitcoms on Friday nights anymore" (as a lame excuse for cancelling Last Man Standing).

I do seem to stress you out @Tinkrbl44.  Maybe you should ignore my posts in the future.

Respected Contributor

@12andcounting I hear you but since most of the shows i watch are sitcoms and half on ABC I could not give the network up for principal!  I did sign the Last Man Standing Petition and am hopeful that they will bring it back with their tail between their legs.  The networks have long treated Friday night viewers as dispensible. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I thought the second episode was much better than the first.

It was a bit.  At least Jason likes Martin.  She shouldnt have a dog.  I find the show has a real "sad" vibe.  I think the casting is off too.  Nan and her boss have zero likeability/comedic response with me.  Jason i like because he cares for the dog and he is a cutie.

Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@12andcounting

You're kidding, right?       

Not even close to kidding.   Not only did they cancel a show due to political views, they lied about "not having sitcoms on Friday nights anymore" (as a lame excuse for cancelling Last Man Standing).

I do seem to stress you out @Tinkrbl44.  Maybe you should ignore my posts in the future.

@12andcounting

No, you have it wrong.  With ABC, as with ALL networks, keeping or cancelling shows is first and foremost a dollars and cents decision.     It's called PROFITABILITY.   Even Fox considered taking the show, but ultimately passed on it.

I don't know where it got started that ABC would cancel a show based merely on a cast member's opinions, but a lot of people got bamboozled over that one.  People shouldn't be that gullible, but I guess they are.

BTW ......   I have no idea why you think you "stress me out", but no, you don't.    

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/why-last-man-standing-was-canceled-tim-allen-responds-100...

Respected Contributor

Re: New Show Downward Dog

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 @12andcounting

Networks make more or less on a series depending on many factors including who is actually producing the show, the cost of the show itself and the night of the week it is carried.  Expectations for Friday and Saturday night are not as high as for other nights.  Friday night is the death night. Yet LMS maintained more than respectable ratings for its slated period.  Notice she qualifies her statement saying his politcal leanings was "not the deciding factor".  Oops, so it was a factor.  It was a solidly cute family show.  It had a solid following, even on a Friday night.  They should have moved it to another night, filling the Riley or Fresh slot or something.  But they just axed it,  I will say one more thing.  Moving Once to Friday will kill it.  And a Shield clone on Friday is laughable.  Friday night people wont sit and watch an hour show in the first prime hour.  And they wont even warm up to a violent Shield show in the second prime hour,  I think these network decision makers are very stupid.

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 @12andcounting

Networks make more or less on a series depending on many factors including who is actually producing the show, the cost of the show itself and the night of the week it is carried.  Expectations for Friday and Saturday night are not as high as for other nights.  Friday night is the death night. Yet LMS maintained more than respectable ratings for its slated period.  Notice she qualifies her statement saying his politcal leanings was "not the deciding factor".  Oops, so it was a factor.  It was a solidly cute family show.  It had a solid following, even on a Friday night.  They should have moved it to another night, filling the Riley or Fresh slot or something.  But they just axed it,  I will say one more thing.  Moving Once to Friday will kill it.  And a Shield clone on Friday is laughable.  Friday night people wont sit and watch an hour show in the first prime hour.  And they wont even warm up to a violent Shield show in the second prime hour,  I think these network decision makers are very stupid.

@Shawnie    @12andcounting

ITA about costs .....  A lot of people don't realize what factors into costs and profits, and ABC wasn't making as much on LMS as their other shows ... regardless of how much people want to spin it into something else.  

Saying the star's opinions "was not the deciding factor" does not mean they were.   There are lots of conservatives working in Hollywood, and to assume poor Tim got singled out makes no sense.  (see last paragraph)

One factor also being ignored is that the show's ratings have dropped to less than half of the original season, meaning the advertisers dollars coming in have dropped considerably.  

If you want the ratings numbers, in Season One, the show pulled in 12.93 million viewers.  In Season Six, they had dropped to 5.93 million viewers.  I don't know about you, but I see that as a very considerable drop in viewership.

I never saw the show, so I can't comment on its appeal or lack thereof.  Never thought much of Tim The Tool Man, so I never bothered to check out.

It's also my understanding that someone started a petition, but trying to get ABC to keep a show they don't make much money on is a big mistake, IMO.   It would make a LOT more sense to shop the show around to another network (or to 20th Century Fox, who owns it)  where the contracts can be reconfigured so it DOES make money for whichever network might give it a chance.  

OTOH, maybe it would make more sense for ABC to be open to having Tim Allen develop a new show, period.  JMO

One more thing .....  CBS's Friday night shows have been in those time slots forever, Blue Bloods & Hawaii Five O,  so it isn't death night for everything.  

(BTW .. Tom Selleck is a conservative and on the Board of Directors of the NRA, so thinking conservatives can't work in Hollywood is really a bunch of kwap, IMO)

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie   @12andcounting   @Jordan2

Jordan, I apologize for wandering off topic ....  and hope this gets back on track for Downward Dog.

I invite anyone who want to discuss LMS to go to the LMS Cancelled thread.

Again, Jordan, I apologize. 

Tink