Esteemed Contributor

New Series - Barkskins - May 25th

[ Edited ]

New series coming to Nat Geo on May 25th.  Trailer looks good...love shows based on New Frontierish {my word} history.

The series tells the story of a mysterious massacre in 17th century Canada, which threatens to throw the region into war. 

From -- Goldderby.com, where you can see a trailer---

"Barkskins’ is a primeval story of survival and the quest to build a civilization out of the endless forest. The settlers who’ve come to seek their fortune in the vast and unforgiving ‘New World’ — the landless poor, street urchins, religious seekers, rapacious traders and the penniless young women hoping to marry into land and wealth — are met with the brutal reality of their dreams as they attempt to carve their place in it. They find themselves in the forest of the world, a dark and uncaring place, long settled by indigenous nations who view their arrival with disdain, and a recognition that an alliance with these disparate newcomers is increasingly necessary for survival.”

Respected Contributor

Re: New Series - Barkskins - May 25th

@corita  Thanks for heads up on this.  I goggled Barskins and saw trailer on YouTube.  It looks really good setting my re order now.  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Great .. this may save me from watching " The Crown" for the

6th time .....!!!  I do love it though .....

Esteemed Contributor

Anybody watch this new show last night???  I really like historical shows focusing on New World settlers.  But I have to say, I was really disappointed!! 

The sound/talking is really difficult.  The cast were all talking in character "accents' and even with my close captioning, some words are very hard to discern.

Too many scenes are filmed in the dark and it is almost impossible to really see what is going on. Those shots of day action were set in beautiful woodland scenery though...

There is really no background info, so the viewer can't really grasp the situation and why people moved...or even care.

There are ten episodes...two were shown last night.  Will watch the next two, but hopes for a new interesting show are dimming!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@corita I got a bit lost in the whole thing especially the filming in the dark.  I was o.k. with accents but found it, like you, rather disappointing but will probably watch next episode before giving up.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@corita wrote:

Anybody watch this new show last night???  I really like historical shows focusing on New World settlers.  But I have to say, I was really disappointed!! 

The sound/talking is really difficult.  The cast were all talking in character "accents' and even with my close captioning, some words are very hard to discern.

Too many scenes are filmed in the dark and it is almost impossible to really see what is going on. Those shots of day action were set in beautiful woodland scenery though...

There is really no background info, so the viewer can't really grasp the situation and why people moved...or even care.

There are ten episodes...two were shown last night.  Will watch the next two, but hopes for a new interesting show are dimming!!

-------------

So just read that there are eight episodes!!  Really don't know which number is correct...eight or ten!!!

I 'rewatched' the second episode and it seemed a better show to me.  Easier to watch and made a bit more sense than the first one!!  Still confusing and lots of jumping around the stories....

Esteemed Contributor

Agree that to many scenes  are filmed in  dark light and the sound track/ talking as others described is less than optimal in understanding.  I do appreciate that it is a series reagrading the French colony  of Ne France in  Canada rather than another series  of English Pilgrims in New England.  I found it interesting . Life was very difficult in those times just to survive , let alone all the complexities of  alliances .  I plan to watch the entire series . I to record than re watch  episodes to see what I may have missed . I have read some historical narratives about life in Canada in the 1600's when it was first being colonized .  All that's needed now is a series about the Dutch in New Netherlands .

Regular Contributor

I like the show and it's something new to watch.  I'm  interested in watching it to the end.

Esteemed Contributor

Anybody stay with this show 'til the end???  I did, but am still not sure what happened at the end!!  Will watch last episode On Demand a second time!!

I would be surprised if there will be a Season 2!!!  It was not that good of a series!! Very strange, disjointed storyline; too many scenes shot in the dark and too many different language accents used in the dialogue!!

Esteemed Contributor

@corita wrote:

Anybody stay with this show 'til the end???  I did, but am still not sure what happened at the end!!  Will watch last episode On Demand a second time!!

I would be surprised if there will be a Season 2!!!  It was not that good of a series!! Very strange, disjointed storyline; too many scenes shot in the dark and too many different language accents used in the dialogue!!

Yes, I did watch every episode  of  the series . I taped the episodes so that I could rewatch to make sense of what was going on.  I really liked the series  , however there were quite a few story lines . I hope there is a season 2 as I'd like to know what happened to the other characters - Mathilde( tavern owner )  , Rene Sel ( endentured) ,and Melissande ( wife of  Claude Trepagny . I'd also like to know what happens with Mari & her son since she poisioned  Mr Trepagny with likely hemlock  since he married  Melissande . I had empathy for Rene Sel  who worked so hard clearing the woods and then taken hostage and brutalized .  It was so ironic that  Mr Trepagny  survises at the end sitting on top of his tree house  to witness that War party heading to the town !