Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Season of Rock the Block on HGTV starts on Monday

[ Edited ]

I agree....as far as design, those two guys (I still have no clue who they are) nailed it.  I think your pool of buyers might be lower.  I also loved that art work on the wall when you first came in.  I also really liked the artwork they originally intended to do.

I also knew Egypt and her husband would win.  I didn't even realize the garages were not connected.  That would seem like a no brainer to me but I'm sure it was costly to add on.  I didn't care for the way they decorated their living room.  It was very elegant but basically all white from what I recall. 

I wasn't so impressed with the twins this week and thought they overdid it with their decor items.  The bar was a nice touch but with that wall looked lopsided to me with there being only tile on the one side of the fireplace.

Jenny and Dave's living room did nothing for me as it was rather bland.  I also don't want an open storage area for coats and shoes to be the first thing you see inside the front door.    IMHO, that belongs at your back entrance.  I didn't understand where they added the bathroom but I'm glad they did.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Yes I agree with the comments for week 2.  That was a great idea for Egypt's husband to connect the garage.  That definitely increased the value.  These houses are different from the last group,  they are smaller and I am not sure families would purchase them due to the lack of yard.  I see more young professionals or empty nesters.  This house is also much smaller,  I see how they recommend they go with a style that matches in both rooms because it is smaller.  

I did like all of the designs,  I like how the two young guys come up with different but interesting rooms.  Last season David went to over board but I think these guys are still appealing to some buyers.  

I was looking at how much they have spent so far and Egypt and Mike are way ahead and they bricked their entire house so they may run out of money.

I think the Twins are at a disadvantage because they don't have real contruction expertise like the other three couples. 

Esteemed Contributor

Honestly, I could repeat everything everyone already said here. The only thing I could add would be that the twins were the only ones who did not add the French doors to the porch…even though they had the perfect reason too with their wet bar! I couldn’t believe it wasn’t brought up. I did otherwise like their design. Agree that I liked the Marrs room the least.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with bits of pieces off what has been said. I was confident that  Egypt and Mike were going to win when they added the hallway that connected the home to the garage. The only thing that I did not care for with their design were the white faux beams. It would have definitely popped more if they would have picked a different color. The white just made it disappear into the ceiling. I also enjoy watching Married to Real Estate. 

I love fixer to fabulous with Jenny and Dave but I felt that their design was very bland. I see the type of work that they can do so I was disappointed in their design. 

The guys from Detroit. I did not care for the color of their living room, especially taking it up to the ceiling. It was sort of distracting to me although still pretty. I can still see the home selling well. 

I am sorry, I did not like the twins design at all. The wet bar in the living room (no) the piano bar with the black and white tile (no) and when they put everything together, it just looked extremely cluttered to me. There was just so much stuff everywhere it was too busy. 

Flashback to last season. Someone mentioned the guy from  from Lottery Dream Home, I am not interested in this show and have not watched. However,  wow the house that he and his partner in the contest designed. was just a complete hot mess. They will probably have to go in and redo a lot to be able to sell that home. 

Back to current season. I can't wait to watch next weeks episode. 

Honored Contributor

I always cringe when I hear that decor/paint color/whatever must to appeal to many buyers.   You only need one.

I realize it could sit a bit longer than the bland, ticky tacky houses but I like to see something different.  I've quit watching several of the HGTV shows for this reason, to include House Hunters where the buyers turn their nose up at a house with a room painted in a color they don't like.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Am I the only one disappointed with the Marrs? I did like the sauna, but I can’t believe they left such a small closet. With no door. Head scratcher. And I usually like their own show.

I agree with the top two - I would have had a hard time deciding between the two. So far, I think it’s Egypt and her husband’s to lose.

The artwork behind the bed of the Detroit home was beautiful! Not sure if worth taking out windows - and would be a pain to clean! But, in general, the Detroit team is doing what David Bromsted and his partner failed to do last year.

Occasional Contributor

I did like the twins bedroom and bathroom,also the washer and dryer in the closet is a perfect idea.It is also nice that they added more footage to the closet.The Detroit guys are my favorite to watch.It is so fun to see what Keith is going to make.I thought tha Marrs bedroom is kinda bland,didn't care much about the sauna,I guess I would rather have big closet.Egypt bedroom is also nice and I think she and her husband are going to be on top of this show.Anyway looking forward for next week.

Esteemed Contributor

I completely forgot to watch this week.  I was thinking it was on Tuesday or Wednesday evening but then I saw a post on FB about the episode from the twins.  I hope I can catch a replay of the episode.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

I liked the Twins closet,  their bathroom was "ok."  The vanity although two sinks was not large enough.   I did like Egypt's.  I really liked the two closets. The boys spent too much on that shower.  It's too bad because they didn't have any money left to do the closet.  The Marr's wasn't that impressive.  I love all the custom cabentry he does but the sauna was definitely a miss.  

I agree that Egypt overall is going to be hard to beat.  She is doing a good job of putting in what buyers want and making it look really nice. 

The boys are much better than David,  I just think their bathroom was a miss and I look forward to what they do next. 

Honored Contributor

By now we all know the name of the street and very well deserved.  I've admired their style for many years.

Dave Marrs should have his own carpenter show.   His skill with wood is amazing.   I watched the finale of his show Fixer to Fabulous Welcome Inn & really enjoyed it.   They both did an incredible job with their rental.  I think the time restrictions on Rock the Block kept Jenny frazzled, she did an awesome job with Welcome Inn however.