Honored Contributor

Re: New Season, Same old Story

The Hallmark Channel is for people without much of an imagination. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

That's not true for all @GenXmuse   Many imaginative and creative people like to rest  brain power at the end of the day and just escape. Some into music, some into books.  Something for everyone without judgement! 

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

That's not true for all @GenXmuse   Many imaginative and creative people like to rest  brain power at the end of the day and just escape. Some into music, some into books.  Something for everyone without judgement! 

I agree it does rest the brain. I have a difficult time turning my thinking off. Had not even looked at the Hallmark channel until the COVID lockdown collided with the election furor. I found the Christmas ones and realized they numbed my brain. I watch them to relax, look at the scenery, and not have to think. They remind me of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy books. Formula writing but relaxing.

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

may i suggest that it is also for people who are dealing with devastating health issues?  sometimes ya just have to TUNE OUT and watch ******.  

Honored Contributor

Totally gave up that tier on cable and the 10 year old movies!

I got Netflix and saved litterly a ton!  

I can get old or new!

Valued Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

may i suggest that it is also for people who are dealing with devastating health issues?  sometimes ya just have to TUNE OUT and watch ******.  

This is very true! When my husband was battling cancer and he was in the hospital with one major issue after another, I'd go home so tired at the end of the day and find several messages asking me to call family members. I always wanted to cry because I just wanted to go home and watch a Hallmark movie. I needed to rest my brain. Sometimes we just need something that doesn't require much thought. It's true that the movies are all duplicates of one another but they can be an escape in hard times.

Esteemed Contributor

We have Spectrum, too. Wish we could pick and choose networks. We have a few add ons that we'll let go of as soon as series we enjoy end. Netflix was terrific during our home stays since March 2020. I rarely watch Hallmark - but understand how this can be non-invasive when you want to slip into neutral for a while.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Contributor

I think the intent of the Hallmark Channel programming is the feel good, lightweight content, happy ending stuff. If you want award caliber acting and stories, this is definitely not the channel you want to watch. For me, sometimes I just want the mindless, don't have to concentrate, predictable outcomes these movies offer. I still love the options that Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime offer but Hallmark is a guilty pleasure of mine. I will say that I am more of a fan of the original programming on the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries Channel where both the plots and the acting is much better.

Honored Contributor

@SeasonedCitizen 2 years ago I watched a Christmas movie on Hallmark.  It was ok, very predictable.That was it. I see previews of their movies on tv and look too sappy, smarmy and cookie cutter for me.

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Thank you @mspatmac! I always enjoy my late Saturday night "date" with DD to watch these. I don't watch Hallmark enough to know all of the actors, and I usually know how the movie will end, but I almost always enjoy getting there!

For anyone who thinks these movies are boring, I have a name and a movie:

Ryan Paevey 

A Timeless Christmas 

Smiley Wink