Respected Contributor

Re: New Season Of American Idol

i only record, so i don't have to go through all the back stories and host drivel. I just want to see the kids preform.

Trusted Contributor

I didnt care for the last song.  I dont listen for activism.  I want to be entertained.  He was a good singer and I am sure he had other music to sing.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't watched AI in years but decided to watch last night.  I thought some of the "singers" they put through were simply awful.  And others just  very ordinary.  I kept wondering what Simon, Randy, and Paula would say.

Trusted Contributor

Kudos to Lionel for taking the time to explain it to her.  Making it on her own instead of being Aretha's relative will be a tough lesson, but she will be proud of herself in the end.

Honored Contributor

@judianne wrote:

I thought it was mean of them to not let Franklens granddaughter through , she sang beautifully , maybe they were worried she would get votes based on who she is ?

@judianne   No, she just was not that good.... needed to work on herself... grow up some... she has plenty of time to do that.

Esteemed Contributor

@judianne wrote:

I thought it was mean of them to not let Franklens granddaughter through , she sang beautifully , maybe they were worried she would get votes based on who she is ?

I think it would have been meaner to have given her somebody else's spot because of who she is.  It seemed from the first note had it been anybody else there wouldn't have been a discussion about it.  Cute girl and in time I'm sure she will be excellent but this wasn't the time. I am sure she will come back much stronger and a better chance next time.

Trusted Contributor

@Pook I also do not care for the background stories.  Seems like all the contestants are chosen by  who has the saddest tale to tell or some other compelling (?) reason.  Just another reason to keep the camera on Perry to show verious stages of her tears or amazement.  I did get a kick out of the little girl who chose to sing with her brother instead of Katie, that was fun.  

Respected Contributor

I think we know by now all these reality shows are scripted.

I believe that all the ones that make it out of hollywood week are determined by the producers. The hosts/judges just add the fluff.

Putting Aretha's g'daughter in the show sure got the buzz that the producers had hoped for. 

So if I watch, its to enjoy the show. Honestly I liked the old format better. We got to see the 12 contestants really grown into mature performers including the makeovers. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wasn't planning to watch it, have watched a little here and there last few years but I'm glad you mentioned it.

Watching it now and it is really good. I think they have eliminated a lot of the nonsense with judges/contestants but I'm only on the 2nd contestant.

I loved the first country guy's voice but couldn't really understand the words. (I don't think they think much of enunciation all over kentucky-heh.😄That is a real deep southern accent there. Only time I've heard more is born in SC.And no offense, meant, half my family from the south. Anyway what a voice he has.

And the 2nd one! She must be one of those people who have that inborn talent that can sound like everything and anyone. Especially strange because of how her real voice is!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh gosh now I'm crying at "She used to be Mine"😭

and oh my here comes the next one-crying all the way through.

Make sure you have a box of kleenex right next to you!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"