Honored Contributor

Re: New Original CNN First Ladies Series

I will be watching because I have admired and respected many of the First Ladies for what they did quietly and without fanfare to help the country.  It will be interesting to see how those  ladies will be portrayed.  They should be celebrated and I also agree, it would be very informative if all the first ladies could be in the series.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Pandalady  I'm interested in why they chose these First Ladies and left out so many others. For example, Edith Wilson. Their choices are baffling.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Pandalady  I'm interested in why they chose these First Ladies and left out so many others. For example, Edith Wilson. Their choices are baffling.

I'd agree their choices are baffling were it not CNN and were their choices not seemingly so very partisan, overall... And really, no Dolley Madison, who essentially created the role of First Lady... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Thank you - Always interested - Will watch!!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I will not be watching....I doubt it will be a fair representation.

@Mom2Dogs 

While they can't get into very much depth when covering several FL's in one show, my guess is that many people weren't even alive when some held the position.  I think they can only cover so many somewhat unknowns;  they need some familiar, more recent  names too.  

Why would you think they'd be "unfairly" represented?   Different parties, and different eras.    It might even be delightfully unpolitical.   

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

I'd agree their choices are baffling were it not CNN and were their choices not seemingly so very partisan, overall... And really, no Dolley Madison, who essentially created the role of First Lady... 

@stevieb 

Seems like they're highlighting more recent FLs. that more people have heard of.    There may be subsequent episodes starting at the beginning, for all we know.  Of course, not all first ladies were interesting. 

Honored Contributor

I'm watching. I always learn something new when I watch shows about how those women came to be and what it took to be First ladies.

Honored Contributor

For anyone who has watched the show, how many were highlighted?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

It's a series where each episode is about one First Lady. The first episode shown was about Michelle Obama. The second one, on Sunday night, will be about Jackie Kennedy. I think the third will be about Nancy Reagan.

The first episode about Michelle Obama was very well done. I enjoyed it very much.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Michelle Obama, Jackie Kennedy, Nancy Reagan, Eleanor Roosevelt, Lady Bird Johnson, and Hillary Rodham Clinton

cnn first ladies.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein