Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Masterpiece Series starts tonight

@occasionalrain wrote:

@VaBelle35 I didn't care for Call the Midwife and hated The Durrells of Corfu. This latest war thing is uninspiring but maybe it will improve. 

--------------

Those are the two shows that I did not like either!!!  Stopped watching  after a couple of episodes...

Honored Contributor

I'm pleased to find that I'm not alone in disliking shows that others just loved. When those who post all have positive comments about a show that I dislike, I usually keep my personal dislike to myself.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spiderw wrote:

I have been watching Masterpiece Theater since the seventies and rarely am I disappointed in the series they present.  Brideshead Revisited, I, Claudius, Lillie Langtry, Anna Karenina Jewel in the Crown, are but a few of the excellent series I loved.  There were many more. The mystery series are also wonderful.

As each series ends, I always look forward to new series.  Yes, some are not as good as others but I watch because the acting and settings are superb and that alone keeps me interested.  

Compared to the TV offerings on other stations, especially the reality shows, Masterpiece is always a breath of fresh air and welcome in my TV world.

@spiderw 

And, my very first, Upstairs / Downstairs, just couldn’t leave it out! 😉 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@spiderw wrote:

I have been watching Masterpiece Theater since the seventies and rarely am I disappointed in the series they present.  Brideshead Revisited, I, Claudius, Lillie Langtry, Anna Karenina Jewel in the Crown, are but a few of the excellent series I loved.  There were many more. The mystery series are also wonderful.

As each series ends, I always look forward to new series.  Yes, some are not as good as others but I watch because the acting and settings are superb and that alone keeps me interested.  

Compared to the TV offerings on other stations, especially the reality shows, Masterpiece is always a breath of fresh air and welcome in my TV world.

@spiderw 

And, my vert first, Upstairs / Downstairs, just couldn’t leave it out! 😉 

@Drythe   Yes, Upstairs Downstairs is where it all started with me.

Respected Contributor

I love Masterpiece but not watching this at the present time......too depressing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lulu1 wrote:

@stevieb wrote

Oh boy... I thought her face in the promo looked familiar but couldn't place it. I've never cared for her so that's one more reason for me to skip this one, but will still give it a look before deciding. Some really compelling viewing would be more than welcome right about now and as far as I'm concerned, overall, PBS has dropped the ball recently, so hoping this is an exception...

We watched I See You and Helen Hunt's face was very different.  It almost looked like she'd been in a serious accident and had facial reconstruction.  She barely had any lips.

@lulu1   I watched I See You a few nights ago, and yes, or had a serious illness,  I watched World on Fire last night, and she looked a bit better, face not as thin and drawn.

Respected Contributor

I made it through the first 10 minutes and that was it. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Drythe

Yes, Upstairs, Downstairs was another spectacular series, The First Chruchhills, Elizabeth R.  Jane Eyre , all the Dickens productions, so many greats!  The list is long and noteworthy in acting and settings.  I also loved Alistair Cook as host, he fit the part!!!! 

I am glad to see we all watch Masterpiece and help keep these excellent productions going.  I donate to PBS because of many shows, but Masterpiece Theater and Mystery are the prime reasons.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched last night. I only knew it was Helen hunt by her voice. She looks so different to me now. I haven’t seen her in anything lately.  I don’t feel the need to go back next week and watch again. Nothing there for me.  And I do like Helen Hunt.

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

@4kittiesI also had a hard time following the plot, there was so many different characters to try and figure out their place in the episode.   Also the jumping from one country to another.  But I will give it a try next week now that I know a few of the characters.