Respected Contributor

New Masterpiece Series starts tonight

World on Fire, starts tonight on PBS at 8:00 Central time.  It is about WWII.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Re: New Masterpiece Series starts tonight

Great.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll give it a try but am not committed to it... Many of Masterpiece offerings lately haven't been, well, masterpieces, and I'm not sure I'm at all interested in still another rehash of the Second World War.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb :  Respectfully disagree; DH and I love this genre.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz  Well then, hoping you enjoy... As noted, I'll take a look and then decide whether or not to stick with it. My own view is that the World Wars have been fully explored on film but perhaps they'll offer a more fresh approach, an unusually compelling perspective or a highly appealing and talented cast...

Super Contributor

ITA! Masterpiece Theater has become a real 'bore'!!!! I really dislike war movies of any kind. After Downton Abbey, very hard to keep me interested.

Honored Contributor

I don't like war movies (er, entertainment) either.  But this drama deals with the effects of the war on everyday lives of ordinary peple in five different countries.  I'll give it a chance.

Respected Contributor

I have to say that after Downton and Poldark, I have yet to be really excited by any of the Masterpiece offerings.  But I think Helen Hunt is in this one and I am going to give it a chance.  Have my fingers crossed.......🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties wrote:

I have to say that after Downton and Poldark, I have yet to be really excited by any of the Masterpiece offerings.  But I think Helen Hunt is in this one and I am going to give it a chance.  Have my fingers crossed.......🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Oh boy... I thought her face in the promo looked familiar but couldn't place it. I've never cared for her so that's one more reason for me to skip this one, but will still give it a look before deciding. Some really compelling viewing would be more than welcome right about now and as far as I'm concerned, overall, PBS has dropped the ball recently, so hoping this is an exception...

Honored Contributor

@4kitties Thanks for the heads up, got the DVR set.

I guess I'm odd but I've never watched Downton Abbey!!