Honored Contributor

I was surprised - pleasantly - that Linda Lavin is in the movie,  She's 84.  She plays Madelyn Pugh, who was Lucy's head writer from the radio days.  Coincidentally, years later, and known then as Madelyn David, she was head writer for eight of the nine years Alice was on TV.  Talk about serendipity!

Honored Contributor

I still refuse to believe that someone actually casted Kidman as Lucy!!! Messing would have been the perfect Lucy as she has already proven

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I was surprised - pleasantly - that Linda Lavin is in the movie,  She's 84.  She plays Madelyn Pugh, who was Lucy's head writer from the radio days.  Coincidentally, years later, and known then as Madelyn David, she was head writer for eight of the nine years Alice was on TV.  Talk about serendipity!

Yes, I heard Linda talking about this a few months ago on The Talk, Madelyn Davis was quite a talented writer. 

Honored Contributor

Well it seems like the consensus is Nicole K. will stink in this role. That's a shame as it could have been a good movie or show or whatever it is. Is it a theater movie?

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa,  you are right on the money with your critique of the voice of Nicole Kidman in the "sneak peek" trailer.

There's a discussion of the trailer going on over at the TCM forums, and I said essentially the same thing as you.  NK does not try to even approximate Lucy's voice, her cadence, nor her accent.  In fact, Nicole's voice has a flattened sound that reminds me of other performers, perhaps from the U.K. or Australia, who just can't quite bring off a true North American sound.

I would have thought she would be aces at an American accent. 

The script in the trailer has her saying, defiantly,  "I'm the biggest asset in the portfolio of ______ (fill in the blank companies)".   It comes off sounding very '21st century', not like she would have talked, remotely.

So, the writing also seemed off to me.  I did like the costumes, the interiors and all the midcentury touches--  but the rest of the trailer did not boost confidence in the production!   Esp. with so many glaring deficits apparent in such a short piece of film.
_

Honored Contributor

Kidman is overrated in my opinion and is miscast in this movie. The part should have gone to Messing. 

Honored Contributor

I just checked out the trailer and I'm looking forward to seeing it...will be in theaters 12/10 and Prime 12/21.

I'll reserve my judgement on the actors once I see it...should be fun!

Respected Contributor

I heard on the news yesterday a clip on a local channel about the New Lucy Movie. It is to come out I believe December 5th here. I want to go to the movie theater to see it. I love anything when it comes to I Love Lucy. As far as Kidman, that is a stretch, but I will hold out my total judgement until I see the movie. 

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I like Javier Bardem. Not a huge Nicole fan.

From the little bit in the trailer, he looks like a good Ricky Richardo/Desi Arnaz.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Oh, I love Linda Lavin.   I'm sure she does a good job in her role.  

Right now, AFAIK, she's only in one sitcom right now and the part isn't that big.  I sure wish that one short-lived sitcom where she played the mother of the main character played by Sean Hayes lasted.  They were great together but, alas, that sitcom went down pretty fast.  Smiley Sad  Also a big fan of Sean Hayes.