Honored Contributor

@threecees wrote:

Big Lucy fan here. Not a big Nicole fan but I still will watch when its available.

Being the Ricardos.

https://youtu.be/wZR63vI3Kmo 

Thanks for that video.  Ok, yeah, she just looks and sounds (although with an American accent) like Nicole Kidman to me.  

JK Simmons, though!  Also a big fan of him.  He totally looked the part!

So, this is on Amazon Prime?   That's good news, so maybe I can see it sooner than later.  I'll definitely want to give it a look-see.

Honored Contributor

Poor Lucy is probably turning over in her grave  over this miscasting.  I am not under rating Kidman as an actress, just not as Lucy. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a very big Lucy fan so have little interest in the movie. But as I understand it is a film about the woman and her relationships not the actress and comedienne. 

Maybe that's why her daughter loves it because it is a true picture of who her mother really was not what she portrayed in her roles and to the public?  

Esteemed Contributor

Don't care for Nicole Kidman.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with others that Nicole Kidman was miscast.  Just saw the clip and she sounds nothing like Lucy.   Javier Bardem was a good choice.  He looked and sounded like Ricky. I would still like to see this movie, especially since I am a mid-century fan.

Esteemed Contributor

This looks like a very good movie.I was wondering when Prime Video was bring out something new.

I like the casting and Nicole Kidman looks like Lucy.  Lucy was a thin lean woman from Jamestown. 

Honored Contributor

Lucy was actually from Celaron NY, but said it was Jamestown. 

Honored Contributor

I am a big Lucy fan and have no desire to watch this.  I think Nicole Kidman is over rated and I am trying to figure out why she would be cast in this.  Honestly some actors are so good it would be hard to play them.  Lucy is one of those.  I Love Lucy has been on for years.  Trying to play her would be very difficult.  I know it's not about the show but to capture who she was would be difficult.  

Remeber they put Nicole Kidman in an updated Bewitched that was a flop.  

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I think Debra Messing could have killed in this role.  Nothing against Kidman, of course, but yeah - might not have been the very best choice.

I assume it's a movie theater movie, so I won't end up seeing it unless it hits tv.  

I agree  Messing is the one I always think of playing Lucille Ball.

Honored Contributor

I'll definitely watch.  

Just read Lucy's memoir this summer:  Love, Lucy

it was a great read.  So many times I'd say outloud while reading it 'Oh my GOSH!'.

As she told stories (very in depth) and was upset, my eyes filled with tears.

So Nicole's voice isn't exactly like Lucy's, doesn't bother me.  It would probably annoy me more to hear an  actress try to sound like Lucy. 

Besides, Lucy's voice just got deeper and deeper and that was actually bothersome to me because I know it was related to cigarette smoking.

As I said recently in another thread, she shouted all her lines in The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy--I think to make her range higher.  When said her lines in a lower tone, it sounded awful.  Too deep, especially interviews.

In her book, she tells how she had to get voice coaching because of the way she sounded.  

In early I Love Lucy episodes, her voice is very high and whiny.  

Anyways, I'm glad Messing didn't get cast for the part as I can't stand her.