Honored Contributor

Re: New Limited Series I Am The Night

@MyShadowLove   you crack me up!  

I just checked the ratings:

First episode was in the top 25 of all cable shows that night (very good)

Second one was also in the top 25 cable

Third episode -- did not make top 25 cable

So there's been consistent audience drop-off which is reflected in this thread.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

@MyShadowLove   you crack me up!  

I just checked the ratings:

First episode was in the top 25 of all cable shows that night (very good)

Second one was also in the top 25 cable

Third episode -- did not make top 25 cable

So there's been consistent audience drop-off which is reflected in this thread.

@LoriLori ...Thanks for posting this....I'm not surprised as it has been quite confusing to follow as well as the fact that it is definitely a very complex and disturbing story.

All I am interested in at this point is how Fauna's life turns out, so I will just do my best to fast forward over the "Ugh" parts...lol... and, hopefully, I can get a coherent understanding of how she manages to cope with all of this and, hopefully, is able to continue on with some semblance of sanity and a successful, happy life?

I need a happy ending for Fauna from all of this, if possible?

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  @MyShadowLove   @SilleeMee   

Are you out?  LOL.

I watched the last episode in total confusion.  In a series supposed to be based on a real person's autobiography, Fauna, a fictional character (Chris Pines's) kills a man and they cover it up.  That is absolutely not in her autobriography and never happened.

And the overemphasis on the artwork by multiple artists.  Why?  But I ask that about everything in this series.

Even reviewers that praised it are bailling.  I can live through two more hours but that's ridiculous because I don't understand it and I don't enjoy it.  It's like how it took me years to learn to pull the bookmark.  

If anyone watched, what did you think?  Although I think the thread dying tells me all I need to know.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori 

I watched it but I honestly can't remember what it was about. That should say a lot about what I think of this series....very forgettable.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Jordan2  @MyShadowLove   @SilleeMee   

Are you out?  LOL.

I watched the last episode in total confusion.  In a series supposed to be based on a real person's autobiography, Fauna, a fictional character (Chris Pines's) kills a man and they cover it up.  That is absolutely not in her autobriography and never happened.

And the overemphasis on the artwork by multiple artists.  Why?  But I ask that about everything in this series.

Even reviewers that praised it are bailling.  I can live through two more hours but that's ridiculous because I don't understand it and I don't enjoy it.  It's like how it took me years to learn to pull the bookmark.  

If anyone watched, what did you think?  Although I think the thread dying tells me all I need to know.

@LoriLori , I'm still watching, it's only 6 episodes so it's not a long commitment. Also, I hardly ever bail on a show or movie, I stick it out to the bitter end.

Esteemed Contributor

I am so confused about this show. It is all over the place. It only has two more  episodes before the end. I will stick it out to see what happens. I would not watch it again. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori @SilleeMee @Jordan2 @elated ...

I am still in also, although in a cautionary state...lol...I just want to see how everything turns out for Fauna if we ever find out as I do feel that her storyline hasn't really gone anywhere and we only have a couple of more episodes to go for them to add some sort of finality to all of this madness!

I said from the beginning that this series was a total mess and I just can't understand why they felt it necessary to add in a fictional character (Jay), as he has just added to the total confusion and is very disruptive to the main storyline about Fauna...whatever that may be.

What the heck kind of an "Art Show" was that supposed to be...people posed in strange costumes... moving wall art with what looked like massage units poking around...lol...and what was the meaning behind the participants taking turns cutting Corinna's dress?!

We have Sepp attacking Fauna and Jay coming to her rescue and killing him and so they end up having to get rid of his body....Jay boozes himself up and Fauna ends up throwing a bucket of cold water on him to sober him up...and...and...and...

Now we are left with two episodes and still find ourselves with no more clarity of what is going on than when we first started watching the series?

So, to be perfectly honest, I just find myself right where I started from!

Joan Crawford GIF - Joan Crawford Cray GIFs

And I also feel quite confident that @LoriLori  is also still...

Related image

Honored Contributor

I'm usually very good at following plot lines, this series is a little difficult to follow for me. I was wondering, why did Jay's boss sell him out, and what do the police want with Jay?

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm usually very good at following plot lines, this series is a little difficult to follow for me. I was wondering, why did Jay's boss sell him out, and what do the police want with Jay?

@Jordan2....You know that saying...."Great minds think alike."...

I just logged into this thread to pose the same questions as yours...I don't understand why Jay's boss betrayed him and why he was arrested?...Hopefully, there is someone who can answer these questions for us.

Then again, there are a lot of things hard to understand and comprehend in this series....Also, I realize that Tamara went through a very horrible upbringing but I had a hard time with how distant and insensitive she was towards Fauna and how she just came out and shared all of the sordid details with her....Did I understand correctly that Fauna's grandfather is also her father...George Hodel?

It also seems that this series has actually been more about Jay...a purely fictional character...rather than concentrating on the story of Fauna and her life.

This has been a very discombobulated series!

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  @MyShadowLove and also @SilleeMee 

You two ask great questions.  I do not have a great mind to answer them LOL.  The creation of Jay has messed this story up even worse than it is IRL!

Here's what I know and it may not be right or relevant:

It is believed, and was believed by Tamar, that Fauna's father was indeed her father, George Hodel.  I would have loved to see more of the trial, to sue her father for incest in those days, and him being such an influential man, took such guts.  The trial happened, there are transcripts, she lost and joined a convent  -- get Jay out of the way!!!!

The fact that at the time this takes place Hodel's wife was John Huston's ex, I just keep thinking:  Chinatown.  I'm not a big movie buff but that movie freaked me out and I never forgot Faye Dunaway screaming:  "She's my sister!  She's my daughter!"  And John Huston made Chinatown and Dorothy Huston-Hodel aka Corinna in this hot mess of a miniseries is married to George Hodel when this takes place.

Here's where it gets complicated:  I'm wondering if Jay is sort of a surrogate for George Hodel's son Steve.  Jay a journalist, Steve Hodel an LAPD cop who retired and wrote three books accusing his father of being the Black Dahlia killer and other things.

Hodel claims the top brass at the LAPD were into Hodel's orgiastic scene and so protected him.  

So is fictional Jay getting the bad police treatment because he was getting too close to the truth?  And if yes, why did his editor sell him out is right!!!

Also seeing him go to Hawaii with Fauna -- he didn't exist.  Couldn't Fauna have gone alone.  Those were my favorite scenes besides the trial and Jay felt like just an interloper.

It's so jarring to watch a fictional character interacting with and affecting the story of a real person.

One more hour...one more hour...one more hour...one more hour...one more hour..

What a mess.  As I said to someone, "Jay is eating the show."  Why???  My goodness Tamar's suit against her father, Fauna's story of learning she's white and who her grandfather is -- and Steve Hodel, if he was a character maybe it would make sense?  But IMO Jay is just eating the show.

And Wildflowers I look less like Stewie Griffin now and more like