Honored Contributor

Re: New Limited Series I Am The Night

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori  Hi back!! I'm thinking now the suspect could have been his son, the director John Huston. Whoever it was was a real creep in that show. I keep forgetting you're not an old movie fan. (mostly) It's just been too long since I saw it and my eras are probably wrong. It's haunting, the whole thing. So I always thought he dunnit,whichever guy he was but didn't want to convict the wrong Huston, lol. We'll never know and I couldn't find anything on it except somebody in the Hodel family having been married to John Huston. This post is kind of puzzling as I read it over but you get my gist.

@Judaline

I just ran it down.  Dr. Hodel was friends with John Huston.  I read in one source Huston was part of that orgiastic fetishistic crowd that gathered at Hodel's.  But he's never been a real suspect.

I also read Man Ray was one of Hodel's BFF also and some of his photos show bisected bodies.  Particularly "The Minotaur" which is said to be in the same shape as the Black Dahlia's body was arranged.  Looking at his Wkipedia entry you see some really sick stuff that absolutely is reminiscent of the Black Dahlia.  It totally gave me the creeps.  What I read said Hodel may have been trying to recreate in with a real-life corpse what Man Ray did in his art.

I'm so ignorant when I first read "Man Ray" I thought of all those awesome photos of the dog!  Turns out the dog was named Man Ray, LOL.  The photographer was William Wegman.  Duh.

I can give you sources but they will spoil the show for you.  I think you'll like the show.  The story of Fauna and Tamar is unbelievable but true.

Esteemed Contributor

Where does the name "Black Dahlia" come from?

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove wrote:

I read that name had something to do with a murder-mystery movie that came out shortly before her body was discovered in 1947. The title of that movie was The Blue Dahlia (1946). @MyShadowLove

eta - According to IMDb:

"Elizabeth Short got the nickname "The Black Dahlia" from a bartender at a Long Beach bar she frequented. This film was playing at a theater down the street, and the bartender got the name wrong. Elizabeth picked up on that and kept the nickname, adding a flower to her hair to complete the transformation. She was murdered the next year (1947). The local newspapers dubbed the case the "Black Dahlia" as a morbid twist on this film's title. Unlike the movie, the Short murder case is still unsolved."

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

I read that name had something to do with a murder-mystery movie that came out shortly before her body was discovered in 1947. The title of that movie was The Blue Dahlia (1946). @MyShadowLove

Thanks @SilleeMee....I'm not familiar with this story but, from reading the latest posts, it sounds quite grotesque and disturbing, so I will just have to take it from episode to episode and see if I can handle the entire series.

Honored Contributor

Did anyone watch last night? There are only 4 episodes left, It seems like there is so much more to the story, how will they fit it all in?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

Did anyone watch last night? There are only 4 episodes left, It seems like there is so much more to the story, how will they fit it all in?

I watched and ended up Googling the whole story.  Because it's the only way the show makes sense to me.  I didn't get a lot of it, it went right over my head so Googling it helped. 

I'm not one for peeking at the back of a book but this is so complex and some things -- like Hodel's wife (or ex-wife?  I wasn't even sure and would appreciate if you could tell me @Jordan2) walking past "The Minotaur" by Hodel's bestie Man Ray -- which her son believes is central to Hodel's "inspiration" for how he cut and posed Elizabeth Short -- confused me, that she and Fauna just breezed by it.  Is that all we'll see of "The Minotaur" or what?  

Since it's true except for the storyline about the reporter is made up and since there is no agreed-upon set of facts IRL about any of it, don't expect closure.  I wish they went chronologically from the murder to Tamar's story and then jumped to Fauna, but it's based on Fauna's book, so.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I watched and ended up Googling the whole story.  Because it's the only way the show makes sense to me.  I didn't get a lot of it, it went right over my head so Googling it helped. 

I'm not one for peeking at the back of a book but this is so complex and some things -- like Hodel's wife (or ex-wife?  I wasn't even sure and would appreciate if you could tell me @Jordan2) walking past "The Minotaur" by Hodel's bestie Man Ray -- which her son believes is central to Hodel's "inspiration" for how he cut and posed Elizabeth Short -- confused me, that she and Fauna just breezed by it.  Is that all we'll see of "The Minotaur" or what?  

Since it's true except for the storyline about the reporter is made up and since there is no agreed-upon set of facts IRL about any of it, don't expect closure.  I wish they went chronologically from the murder to Tamar's story and then jumped to Fauna, but it's based on Fauna's book, so.

@LoriLori, I believe the woman Fauna met with was the ex Mrs. Hodel who I believe has remarried. She seems to be in denial saying Fauna’s father wasn’t black, she seems to be a snob and a bigot.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a few questions...

How do we know that Fauna's father was in fact black? Yes, that's what was stated on her birth record. But that part could have been something that was said without merit and it was put on record just for the sake of it. Fauna's mother was sexually abused by G Hodel and there was an abortion involved as a result of incest. Could Fauna have been born out of incest as well?

Was Tamar the biological daughter of George and Dorothy? In the show Dorothy said Tamar was not their daughter...??

To me it it looks like the Hodel 'family' members weren't who they appear to be. So weird  and dysfunctional, to say the least.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This show is a mess!..lol...Seriously, I don't understand the need to have thrown in the fictional character, Jay, who is also a mess and is a total distraction from the main storyline.

The show has us jumping all over the place, from Jay to Fauna, and it is more of an interruption rather than adding any continuity to the complex storyline whatsoever...Poor Fauna, who is only a teenager, is left to go on her own in her search and desire for familial understanding and connection while a strange man in a car is always following her wherever she goes and we are left to try and understand who is who and what is what?

It is quite confusing in the way it is being presented to us and I am just as bewildered and baffled as anyone else.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a few questions...

How do we know that Fauna's father was in fact black? Yes, that's what was stated on her birth record. But that part could have been something that was said without merit and it was put on record just for the sake of it. Fauna's mother was sexually abused by G Hodel and there was an abortion involved as a result of incest. Could Fauna have been born out of incest as well?

Was Tamar the biological daughter of George and Dorothy? In the show Dorothy said Tamar was not their daughter...??

To me it it looks like the Hodel 'family' members weren't who they appear to be. So weird  and dysfunctional, to say the least.

Tamar was the biological daughter of George and Dorothy.  

Was Fauna the daughter of Tamara and her grandfather?  If this show is attempting to go there they're taking the long way round and throwing in confusing elements for something that has been long alleged but never proved --

-- which brings me to @MyShadowLove comments.  I think they threw Jay in there to connect early and directly to The Black Dahlia murder.  Because Fauna doesn't know anything about it and it happened before the story starts so I think that was their lazy way of bringing it in. 

Like showing Man Ray's painting "The Minotaur" for one second in this week's episode -- it is said to be a possible important clue to the murder and if one didn't know that it was a complete throwaway.

@Jordan2 I am not convinced Fauna is black at all.

This is why I read up everything I could find that's credible.  The series makes zero sense without it and since it's not a true or false story, it's a we'll-never-know story, sp it was an odd choice for a series.  

The best starting place (and maybe too much information for some) is George Hodel's WIkipedia page, and it's long and you have to read up to the Zodiac stuff which his son is also accusing him of and it's just a distraction to this story.

Knowing about Tamar's trial -- she was very brave to do that, she must have had reason.  And the way she gave away Fauna adds to that speculation but it's all just speculation.

I'm watching it for the mood and the acting but one shouldn't  have to read and read to understand what's on the screen.

Sorry this is so long, this show is so (over)complicated.