Honored Contributor

Re: New Limited Series I Am The Night

Actually no, it's not the show that's overcomplicated, it's the real-life story.  The Black Dahlia seems obvious to me (see Wikipedia page) but the rest is fiction (Jay) or speculation (Fauna's father).

It's interesting to me that John Huston (hi @Judaline) was part of Hodel's crowd and he directed Chinatown.

But everything just leads nowhere, because even if you believe Hodel killed Elizabeth Short, which I do, Fauna's story is still ambiguous and so makes no sense.

Honored Contributor

I'm still confused about why Dorothy told Fauna that her mother Tamar was not her own...?? Why would she say that?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm still confused about why Dorothy told Fauna that her mother Tamar was not her own...?? Why would she say that?

ETA:  @Jordan2 and @MyShadowLove

You know what, @SilleeMee ?  I just read this review and realized I didn't understand most of the show.   The one thing I know is everyone shunned Tamar for sueing her father George Hodel for incest but did they even say that?

I didn't even get Fauna being called Pat because knowing her real name is Fauna I guess them calling her "Pat" sailed right over my head.   I feel like a total idiot but this is one very confusing show.  Corinna, Hodel's ex, I -- oh, forget it, read that recap and see what you can make of it!

I am not understanding what I'm seeing and I'm wondering if I should delete my other posts?  What do you people think???

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/i-am-the-night-recap-season-1-episode-2

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

You know what, @SilleeMee ?  I just read this review and realized I didn't understand most of the show.   The one thing I know is everyone shunned Tamar for sueing her father George Hodel for incest but did they even say that?

I didn't even get Fauna being called Pat.   I feel like a total idiot but this is one very confusing show.  Corinna, Hodel's ex, I -- oh, forget it, read that recap and see what you can make of it!

I am not understanding what I'm seeing and I'm wondering if I should delete my other posts?  What do you ladies think???

No, don't delete or change anything @LoriLori. I think we are all confused about this show if you asked me. After reading the recap in the link you provided, I realize now that I was thinking Dorothy was the same woman as Corrina...but they are sisters and so far we have not met Dorothy yet. 

Going back to my question about who Tamar's mother was...it makes sense now what Corinna said to Fauna...that Tamar was not her own (Corrina's) daughter. I think Fauna may have thought the same thing. So where's Dorothy??

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  @Jordan2  @MyShadowLove

I just looked up Fauna Hodel's autobiography and it refers to her in Amazon's description as "the white child."  

The second reviewer says the book bears no relation to the series. That same reviewer says there have been three episodes so obviously she, too, is confused.  

I'm getting a headache from this thing.  All roads lead to confusion.  Maybe, because I love the atmosphere, I need to watch with the sound off!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I didn't even get Fauna being called Pat because knowing her real name is Fauna I guess them calling her "Pat" sailed right over my head.   I feel like a total idiot but this is one very confusing show.  Corinna, Hodel's ex, I -- oh, forget it, read that recap and see what you can make of it!

I am not understanding what I'm seeing and I'm wondering if I should delete my other posts?  What do you people think???

@LoriLori, I read the recap you provided and am now confused! I didn't think the woman Fauna met with was here aunt, I thought she was the ex Mrs. Hodel not Tamar's sister. I could have sworn she was spoken of as the ex Mrs. Hodel, Hodel would have been a maiden name, not a married name if she is Tamar's sister and daughter of George (?). I still am enjoying the show, hopefully after the next 4 episodes, we'll have gotten all the pieces to this story.

Honored Contributor

I was very confused from the first episode and reading these posts/comments I have decided not to go ahead with the viewing. If you guys are confused then there's no hope for me whatsoever. I wonder if there are reviews of the show (on the channel's website so far)-maybe they could shed some light but I don't care to get even more confused.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@LoriLori, I read the recap you provided and am now confused! I didn't think the woman Fauna met with was here aunt, I thought she was the ex Mrs. Hodel not Tamar's sister. I could have sworn she was spoken of as the ex Mrs. Hodel, Hodel would have been a maiden name, not a married name if she is Tamar's sister and daughter of George (?). I still am enjoying the show, hopefully after the next 4 episodes, we'll have gotten all the pieces to this story.

@Jordan2   @SilleeMee   @MyShadowLove

Again, courtesy of Wikipedia and then a link to Steve Hodel's web site:

He had three legal wives and one common-law.  He was an abortionist and many young lovely Hollywood hopefuls crossed his door and got involved with the BDSM and fetish stuff we saw a glimpse of already.

So:  the first wife was common-law, with whom he had one son.  As with every one of his exes they continued having sex off and on after they split up!!! 

The second  wife was per Wikipedia Dorothy Anthony, with whom he had Tamar.

The third wife was per Wikipedia also named Dorothy, she was John Huston's ex.   He had three sons with her including Steve Hodel who is the retired LA cop who accused his father of being The Black Dahlia, and to confuse things even more Steve Hodel's web site said his mother was renamed Corinna for "I Am the Night" (huh? why?):

https://stevehodel.com/2019/02/02/dorothy-huston-hodel-1906-1983-remembrance-110th-birthday/

-- and George Hodel still slept with the first two and also others including Elizabeth Short, The Black Dahlia, and sounds like plenty of other women.    

He was an abortionist so lots of lovely young Hollywood women came into his orbit that way too

The fourth wife he had four more kids with, having moved to The Philipines supposedly when he was under scrutiny, her name was Hortensia, and then he moved back to LA

There were lots of women, sounds like they were being passed around, and there was BDSM, and we saw the fetish stuff but I hope they focus clearly on his BFF Man Ray's work, The Minotaur, which is in the position they would later find the Black Dahlia in, bisected and everything

Really sick stuff.  Steve Hodel has made a very good case for his father being the killer and he is a retired cop and maybe his story would have been the more interesting one but as much as he has uncovered evidence (including someone's dying declaration) the case is still considered open

@Judaline  you're smart to get out!!!! 

Honored Contributor

I feel like I need a shower after that last post.  

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

I feel like I need a shower after that last post.  

It was a lot of work , lori, I realize that.I think we all thank you for that. I think I made the right decision, lol.