Honored Contributor

I watched the show last night and was disappointed.  I listen to Entertainment Weekly (same as the magazine) on XM satellite radio.  Debbie Allen was on today talking about the show.  She was the director of last nights (and many other) shows.

She told about the process of finding (what she felt like) was just the right Christina, George and Izzy.  

Anyway, I felt like it would have been better had they injected into the show old clips of the real George, Christina and Izzy.  Many people (myself among them) enjoys revisiting when these people were on the show, just snippets here and there would have been fun, I think.

At first I thought maybe it had something to do with legalese stuff, but I don't think so.  The actor who played George, I didn't think, reminded me of him at all.

It's amazing to me the way the EW people remember episodes way back (the names and year, etc).  I'm sure they've probably done research.  The reason I mention it is because they asked Ms Allen if Meredith holding George's head like that was supposed to trigger people's memory of (and they mentioned a specific episode something about a bomb) and she said, "Yes"!

Like so many things these days there are always hidden things that fans recognize.  Some call them Easter eggs.

Taylor Swift is very famous for that.  She put's "Easter eggs" in her videos for her fans.

Respected Contributor

What made the Cristina/George look-alikes somewhat believable was the female's personality.  I did not see any similarity between real Izzie and this Izzie-like character.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I would love a 2-3 hour special (outside of the series) where the cast and crew showed clips and reminisced. But I think the way they did this episode fits into the series better and was far more creative than having another flashback episode more or less composed of "remember when..."  There's plenty of "Easter eggs" for those of us who have watched the show since the beginning, while still having a new storyline for all viewers.

I'm sure the EW team includes staff to do research. But I'm equally certain that the Grey's PR team would provide enough background info that the media coverage would include whatever aspects they wanted covered.

Trusted Contributor

The thing with triggers is that they can involve any sense or combination of senses, combined with our own unique experiences and memories. While I agree that Cristina and George came across more to me, I think Izzie was "there" too. I think for me at least, there were more visual clues for Cristina and George (particularly Cristina). All three exhibited personality traits that I picked up on tho.

Respected Contributor

Re: New Grey's Tonite

[ Edited ]

I watched Greys earnestly in the beginning and thru Izzys guy friend Denny who died. I loved that character and hated that they kept killing my favorites.  And hospital dramas became a little too close to real life for me so I moved on. Anyway I happened to watch Thursday.  I thought the Christina and Izzy characters were right on.  Poor Alex.  But George got no response from me.  

Honored Contributor

I missed a little of it, which girl was Izzy supposed to be, the one who had the baby, thanks

Respected Contributor

Yes, the pregnant girl in the orange top.

Respected Contributor

Re: New Grey's Tonite

[ Edited ]

I have been a long-time fan of Greys, but the last couple seasons have left me less of a fan.  I too watched the 11/09 episode and was disappointed--thought the Christina/George/Izzy characterizations were rather silly.  Production could have done better for the 300th episode, it was sorely lacking. I have never liked the Owen or Jackson characters (or the actors) and Amelia should have left the series long ago, her character contributes nothing. The gradual loss of the original cast has morphed the series and some of the storylines seem like quite a grasp for content. The older Grey's was superior!  Some of these people who are supposed to be newly graduated doctors, interns, residents and/or surgeons keep me wondering how they ever got through university/med school.  I know that Grey's is actually about Meredith's journey, but sometimes I am left wondering and wanting more substance in Meredith's journey.

Respected Contributor

I just watched the 300th episode and thought it wasn't as good as I expected.  My favorite part was where Alex described how he imagined Izzie's life...so sweet.  I would love to see Sandra Oh back on the series or even with a guest star arc.  It would be a hoot.