Honored Contributor

The new version of the show premieres Thursday June 22 at 10:00. I don't really remember the original with Chuck Barris. Anyway I read an article the host is Tommy Maitland who is believed to be British and fictional. Some think he is Mike Meyers in disguise. I've seen a good picture and if it is Mike Myers it's one heck of a makeup job, he's unrecognizable! Why would the show want to dupe the viewers?

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2, I do remember the Gong show so probably won't be re-visiting it with this new run of the show (unless there's nothing else on).  But the first commercial I saw I looked at the host and thought that's Mike Myers.  In fact, if it weren't for the host I'd probably be more inclined to give it a try.

Respected Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@Jordan2, I do remember the Gong show so probably won't be re-visiting it with this new run of the show (unless there's nothing else on).  But the first commercial I saw I looked at the host and thought that's Mike Myers.  In fact, if it weren't for the host I'd probably be more inclined to give it a try.

For some reason, I thought the original Gong Show was hilarious and don't know if the new version will do it justice.  Will watch one show and see if I want to watch the others.

Respected Contributor

I loved the original.  Won't watch the do-over or remake.  They never compare to the original.

Esteemed Contributor

The new show could never compare to the original.  It was at a certain time and certain era in tv watching. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I didn't like the old one, and I'm not interested in the new one.

I seem to have a low tolerance for TV lately.

Respected Contributor

The original was harmless goofy fun for the most part. I'll give the redo a look. Just hope they don't think they need to be edgy, if you know what I mean.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2, after reading your post, I was curious about Tommy Maitland, so I googled him and found out that he is, in fact, Mike Myers.  

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Jordan2, after reading your post, I was curious about Tommy Maitland, so I googled him and found out that he is, in fact, Mike Myers.  

@Citrine1, wow good job by you! I'm surprised you were able to find out because it seems to be a well guarded secret. 

Honored Contributor

Re: New Gong Show

[ Edited ]

@SWEET wrote:

@Wsmom wrote:

For some reason, I thought the original Gong Show was hilarious and don't know if the new version will do it justice.  Will watch one show and see if I want to watch the others.

To me, for those who haven't seen the original - if you've ever watched the early rounds of American Idol, you've already seen the Gong Show. Same thing, except it's all for yuck-yucks (as in Three Stooges yuck-yucks)  including the "judging." If you google, you'll see that "Tommy Maitland" IS Mike Myers; there is no such person as Tommy Maitland.

I thought it was stupid in my 20s. I imagine this one will seem even dumber to me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all