Honored Contributor

Ok, i didn't make it past halfway through the tarantula act (I changed the channel when I realized what was going to happen).  To be honest I think the show would be much better if Mike Meyer would just be himself as he is so engaging and funny.

Trusted Contributor

The new version made me miss Chuck Barris.  And who can forget Gene Gene The dancing machine. Lol. 

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't like it the first time around. I have no plans to tune in this time. 

Honored Contributor

mtc wrote:

Ok, i didn't make it past halfway through the tarantula act (I changed the channel when I realized what was going to happen).  To be honest I think the show would be much better if Mike Meyer would just be himself as he is so engaging and funny.

Just for that (bolded by me) one act I've read about here, I'm really glad I didn't watch.  I actually forgot about it, anyway, but still.    That just sounded wayyyyy over the line for me. *shudder*

Agree about Mike Meyers.  He's a funny and talented guy.  But the act, especially since people know who's under all those prosthetics and that faker than fake looking hair, just makes it kinda creepy.

Honored Contributor

Lenapecci wrote:

The new version made me miss Chuck Barris.  And who can forget Gene Gene The dancing machine. Lol. 

..and the 'Unknown Comic'.  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Gong Show

[ Edited ]

I actually clicked on the show by mistake...was looking for another show!!  

I saw the rope jumping man and really was impressed!  The other one I saw was the fast talking lady with the pig and something else in her hands. Don't call that a talent - so ridiculous!  

What - I thought - ruined the show was the silliness and stupidity of the host and the judges. Will not be watching again....

Honored Contributor

I watched the show because I remember the old Gong Show (some of it).

I don't understand why the jump roping man didn't win.  I guess he wasn't stupid enough.

I do like the host.  He's so silly he just makes me laugh.  I got the feeling there wasn't a lot of 'love' going on between two of the judges.  They were constantly 'cutting' each other.

Honored Contributor

@lenapecci wrote:

he was adorable  8)

Image result for gif gene gene dancing machine

Respected Contributor
When I was a kid there was a show that came on late called The Liars Club. Does anyone remember that show? I liked it but I was only 7 or 8 at the time.
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Valued Contributor

Re: New Gong Show

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for the reminder of this show! I just caught the first one On Demand. I found it silly, sophomoric, and irreverent. I LOVED IT!! Mike Myers would be funny as himself, though; the Tommy Maitland persona is strange and unnecessary. MM is a funny guy, and all the "cheeky" comments have already been done - by Austin Powers and even young lad Simon on SNL. 

@feline groovy: Thanks for the video of Gene Gene the Dancing Machine. And no audio? no problem....I can easily recall that catchy tune!