Honored Contributor

New Denzel Washington Thriller-- "Roman J. Israel, Esq."

Looking for a good movie amid all the fluff, I came upon this.  It's not rated "R" (yay!)--check.  It has Denzel Washington-- check.  It sounds like a noir-ish thriller-- double check!

Has anyone seen this?  The trailers grabbed me.  Denzel is a quirky, idealistic lawyer whose partner has died and who has switched to a tony new firm.  Things that were hidden and dangerous, begin to be rolled out.

Even in the trailers, you can see Denzel Washington's complete mastery of his complex character, thought out right down to his finger tips as usual.  This being Hollywood, modern day, and about the legal system, i suppose we can expect a certain amount of lecturing from the standard movie-land, ideological perspective, gack. So what else is new.  But I'm prepared to put up with that possiblility, if the movie is good.

I'd appreciate it if anyone who's seen this would weigh in with a review!

Contributor

Re: New Denzel Washington Thriller-- "Roman J. Israel, Esq."

I saw it with a group of friends (male and femaie.  "Odd" was the shared reaction.   We all commented that this wasn't a movie or Denzel wasn't a character that any of us engaged with.   If you're looking for a "feel good" movie, this isn't it

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @wherever, for your impressions.  It also sounded to me from the synopsis, that it wouldn't be a "feel good" type of film, and that indeed, it in one sense, has a dark trajectory.  But I love film noir and this seemed like a contemporary noir to me.

I appreciate you taking the time to give input!

Valued Contributor

I just saw it  It was very good  He is autistic as you will figure out  No fluff in this  Wonder is the have to see movie  This was so sweet  Dont be afraid of his face  You will be used to it in minutes and it will become something you wont even notice

Honored Contributor

@mollymaggie, very beautiful advice, thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I'd rather see the film out now about Thurgood Marshall than the Denzel one, from what I've seen of previews of both of them.   You might look at the trailers for both online.

Honored Contributor

For sure, @Pearlee, but a suspense film centered around a brilliant legal mind who may also be autistic (or at least on that spectrum) continues to intrigue me.  They mention in one of the film's blurbs that he has "social difficulty", despite his legal acumen, and you can see in the clips that he doesn't seem to mesh with accepted social norms, or pick up all the social cues, etc.  I find that predicament fascinating...

Trusted Contributor

I wanted to see “ Marshall” but it came and went in just a week in my area. I’ll have to wait until it comes out on iTunes. Hopefully I’ll get to see Denzel’s movie this week. The critics didn’t love either movie,but I really don’t care about that. Sometimes they’re right and sometimes not in my opinion. 

Honored Contributor

@wherever wrote:

I saw it with a group of friends (male and femaie.  "Odd" was the shared reaction.   We all commented that this wasn't a movie or Denzel wasn't a character that any of us engaged with.   If you're looking for a "feel good" movie, this isn't it

I'm not looking for a feel good movie. Love Denzel and will see almost anything with him in it-and may I add that anything with him in it is usually, well, superb.

Esteemed Contributor

I just watched the movie last night at home with hubby and I must say I truly enjoyed it.  I believe it was a sleeper at the box office but I found it quite intriguing to watch Denzel again at what he does best and what a story.

I'm not sure how anyone perceived this as a "feel good" type movie?  There are plenty of comedies or other type of movies to watch.