Honored Contributor

Re: New Christmas Carol

[ Edited ]

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Anyone remember the WKRP one? 

Johnny Fever is the Ghost of Christmas Future.

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper   I also enjoy all four that you listed.  Love the 1970 musical version with Finney.  Absolutely always lifts my spirits.

Have not seen the Fox version referenced that started this thread.  Will watch out for it.

On HBO on demand, a couple of weeks ago, I watched The Man Who Invented Christmas which was a portrayal, very well done I thought, of how Charles Dickens came about writing A Christmas Carol.  I recommend it highly.

Honored Contributor

I prefer the Alastair Sim version which is my favorite of all the Scrooge movies and I love all the other versions  including the Disney one with Jim Carrey as Scrooge.  The new version is my least favorite to be honest but it did have excellent acting and settings.  I didn't care for the ending which in my opinion felt unfinished and there were a few other changes I didn't care for.  

I have been watching the Alastair Sim Scrooge since the fifties , it is my tradition.  When it came out in DVD I was thrilled and now watch it a few times during the season, I never tire of it.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper   I also enjoy all four that you listed.  Love the 1970 musical version with Finney.  Absolutely always lifts my spirits.

Have not seen the Fox version referenced that started this thread.  Will watch out for it.

On HBO on demand, a couple of weeks ago, I watched The Man Who Invented Christmas which was a portrayal, very well done I thought, of how Charles Dickens came about writing A Christmas Carol.  I recommend it highly.

@aroc3435  Yes! Smiley Happy

I totally agree with you about that Charles Dickens movie about how he came to write A Christmas Carol.  I loved it! 

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I watched the new version by the FX network for about 30 minutes, but turned if off.  Very slow, brooding, a little scary.

My favorites in order are:

1.  1951 with Allistair Sim

2.  1938 with Reginald Owen

3.  1984 with George C. Scott

4.  1970 musical with Albert Finney

@Caaareful Shopper 

I watched the newest one and thought the acting was very good, but this version was not that appealing to me.  I much prefer the 1938 ad 1951 versions.  Usually, I love original versions of movies and shows!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Only watched a few min of this and deleted it. Not a fan.

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@aroc3435 ....Thanks for mentioning "The Man Who Invented Christmas"...It sounds interesting and I am planning on watching it tonight.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Christmas Carol

[ Edited ]

Yes, I saw the new version of "A Christmas Carol" and had a difficult time getting into it... I was interested in seeing how they portrayed this classic and ended up not caring for it at all.

My favorite version is with Alistair Sims...He plays the role of Scrooge to perfection!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~