Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I find most of the replies here very sad.  Hopefully, the majority of the people watching were sensitive to the issue of the show and saw it for what it was intended to be.

I read an interview with Ryan Eggold (Max) about the episode.  Google his name and the theme of the show and it will pop up.

Take care.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Re: New Amsterdam tonight

[ Edited ]

It suits some to label it 'sad' and suits others to belittle those with a different opinion from their own by demeaning their intellect, suggesting what they might watch. Of course, the reality, like it or not, is that many people are clearly stating they have limits and that the extent to which this and related topics have been increasingly pursued by the media for the past several years is, in their view, overkill. I agree. No one is suggesting that media doesn't routinely do the whole 'ripped from the headlines' number and haven't done so for years, but there are very real differences in the frequency with which some topics are now broadcast and in the extent to which scripts are now being written to impart a message. Important messages will be lost when people begin to feel they're being bombarded.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Tinkrbl44   I find most of the replies here very sad.  Hopefully, the majority of the people watching were sensitive to the issue of the show and saw it for what it was intended to be.

I read an interview with Ryan Eggold (Max) about the episode.  Google his name and the theme of the show and it will pop up.

Take care.

@Mersha 

I've always liked this show and they've had some very good, very touching storylines. 

However, IMO, this week's  show had too many emotional and powerful things going on at the same time.  It was too much show for one hour .....  too  overwhelming, even.  Just like the people working in the hospital are overwhelmed. 

Maybe that was the point.

Trusted Contributor

I found that this episode did not flow well from one story to the next, somewhat disconnected.

My suggestion for the wall would be a tribute with their pictures of first responders who died treating Covid patients. 

This show as well as a few others are becoming soap operas, so I am choosing to turn off the TV and pick up a good book. 

Honored Contributor

Re: New Amsterdam tonight

[ Edited ]

One might add, there are all kinds of 'disenfranchised' persons in this country. Racial minorities are but one group, but also included here are American Indians and various other ethnic minorities, certain religious minorities, sexual and gender minorities and those who don't belong to any minority group at all, but who've simply been dealt a challenging hand. For some, the media focus on a single group has become vexing.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

If the writers intent was to give us something to talk about, they did indeed.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

Taking those pictures down doesn't mean that wasn't the truth for that time.  By taking those pictures down, it expresses that those were bad people.  Why not leave them up and start another wall that says we can make a change.......from what was to what can be.  This whole cancel culture is such a knee jerk reaction, riling up violence where nothing good will come from it....just more divisions.  Look at this thread......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Taking those pictures down doesn't mean that wasn't the truth for that time.  By taking those pictures down, it expresses that those were bad people.  Why not leave them up and start another wall that says we can make a change.......from what was to what can be.  This whole cancel culture is such a knee jerk reaction, riling up violence where nothing good will come from it....just more divisions.  Look at this thread......

@tends2dogs   So you are  blaming the so called "cancel culture" for inciting violence? 

Violence is what criminals engage in when they deem what they want is not going to happen.  They do not take into account who or what may be collateral damage.  They should be prosecuted and thrown in jail.

You are right, nothing good will come of it.

As far as this thread goes, yes there is division but I actually think it is a good discussion.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@tends2dogs   So you are  blaming the so called "cancel culture" for inciting violence? 

Violence is what criminals engage in when they deem what they want is not going to happen.  They do not take into account who or what may be collateral damage.  They should be prosecuted and thrown in jail.

You are right, nothing good will come of it.

As far as this thread goes, yes there is division but I actually think it is a good discussion.

@Mersha  I totally agree with your thoughts on violence, the people that engage in it and also, what the consequences should be.  

I did not mean that cancel culture causes violence.  I think it is a bit of the opposite.  With all the unrest and division, it is happening (canceling history) because some deem it to be part of the answer.  I was just saying that you can't undo what has been done, but going forward improvements and changes can be made.  Sorry if I worded it wrong before. 

Yes, this thread did cause discussion.  I find it interesting that most of who posted didn't care for the subject matter.  I didn't.  It doesn't mean I will cut off from watching it.  As in other programs, I like some of the storylines and others not so much.  

You can put me in the column for no romance between Helen and Max.  I just don't see the chemistry.  I think she will figure out a way to have a relationship with Dr. Shin.   Woman Wink  The storyline about the "Superman" was extremely touching.  I would rather see this in the evening while letting down from the day and relaxing.  I can get the other watching the news and documentaries.  Just my thoughts.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs   I appreciate your post and understand what you are saying.

I really did not care for Dr. Shin, most likely his attitude toward Dr. Reynolds.  I do wonder if they are writing him out.

I do agree that Helen is all over the place now.  It will be interesting to see where the storylines go.

The discussion was interesting on the show topic of last week and everyone remained civil....a good thing!

Have a lovely weekend!!