Honored Contributor

I’m not sure if I will see it.  I like Will Smith, but heard some reviews that said his performance is a bit lacking, as compared to Robin Williams....a hard act to follow!  

Also...Disney is doing too many live remakes of popular animated films.  They need to come up with some new ideas 

Trusted Contributor

I agree that there are too many animated to live movies being made by Disney. Remember when they would only release DVDs once every 7 years? It seemed that they cherished their productions back then.

I didn't really care for any of the remakes and prefer the animated versions, even the old ones. Cinderella wasn't horrible; B & B was not good, Dumbo - forget it and now this one. I think next up (after they release The Lion King this summer, which I have higher hopes for because there are no human actors and it was directed by he same person who did Tarzan, which WAS good) is Mulan. I really like one and hope they don't mess it up. I am betting that Frozen will be here soon since they already have a Broadway show of this one.

I read the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. They were mixed and some said that it was just OK and was really missable. Others said it was decent, but the average rating made it come in at around 60%.

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ    The radio review I heard today, was similar to what you stated.  It’s a good film, just not great.  

This reviewer did like the actress who was princess jasmine, and said there was a new song added, that she performed, that was very good 

Honored Contributor

Re: New Alladin

[ Edited ]

I put a few spoilers in spoiler tags, so don't open them if you don't want to know! 

DD and I saw it yesterday afternoon. I thought it was great! I really don't like "remakes" and passed on Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella, but DD said this one would be following the original completely. So we went.

The two young actors who play Aladdin and Jasmine are great! They do follow the original, but they also add some things. Both can sing beautifully. 

Spoiler
Jasmine's story line is different from the original movie. She wants to prove she can succeed her father as a female Sultan. She also has a handmaid/best friend who has a prominent role in this movie.
Spoiler

Will Smith is great as the Genie. Of course, no one can come close to Robin, but he makes the role his own and he does a good job. We also see a different "side" of Genie that is not in the original,

Spoiler
maybe a more human and romantic side!

They added a little bit before and after the original movie too. I don't want to give it away, but when I saw the beginning I didn't know where it was taking us, but I'm glad I stayed for the ride! The end tied in perfectly, and I realized I saw a clue in the very first scene. 

It's hard to take a character like Jafar and make him as evil as the original. When I first heard him speak, I wasn't sure if they could come close, but he definitely grew in his "evilness"!

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you decide to see it. At our showing there were a few children, but most were adults. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

WE loved it. It was a visual feast and lots of fun.  It reminds me of the old MGM movies ,shot in technicolor

IT has a wicked Vizier, and parrot that is a stool pigeon, a cheeky money, and a flying carpet ,that gives hugs too. It is filled with excitement, and not too violent

The Genie is fun and wiley. (SP)

If you want a feel good movie, fit for the family ,this is it.