Honored Contributor

FYI - not Aladdin but another give away at The Disney Store

Honored Contributor

I am looking forward to seeing it this weekend, we used the theme whiche won the academnty award fro the best song in 1993, as our wedding song so it will be bittersweet.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor
I just got back from seeing the new Aladdin and...it’s ok. I saw the broadway tour a year or two ago, so I was more comparing it to that (which was great) vs the cartoon with Robin Williams as the genie.

And, if you saw the show, you know the genie is a big voice. Will Smith is a decent singer, but he doesn’t have the big notes that I was wanting. He was still very good (just not with the soaring notes). In general, things weren’t as grand as I would have thought, but that may have also been the effect of the 3D. There were a few changes in the movie, one of which kind of bothered me. It’s possible that I didn’t like some of the director’s decisions.

I don’t think anyone will miss it if you don’t go, but, if you like musicals, you may like it. I would watch it again when it made its way to my TV and I may end up liking it more, as I sometimes do.
Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego, the reviews have not been kind, so I will most likely not rush out to see it. I also saw the Broadway show and enjoyed it. This seemed like it would be a good choice to make into a movie, but just as with Dumbo, they chose directors who made very strange choices and want to change what was good about the movie and story. Dumbo ws ridiculous and I am thinking that while this one won't be THAT bad, it sure won't be as good as it could be. The costumes will be pretty and the dance numbers might be fun, but the casting is not getting strong reviews, as well as the added stories. Come on - the genie needs a love interest????

I had a feeling that this would not be good when there were no advance reviews. I am hoping for better things when they release the new Lion King this summer. 

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

@Alter Ego, the reviews have not been kind, so I will most likely not rush out to see it. I also saw the Broadway show and enjoyed it. This seemed like it would be a good choice to make into a movie, but just as with Dumbo, they chose directors who made very strange choices and want to change what was good about the movie and story. Dumbo ws ridiculous and I am thinking that while this one won't be THAT bad, it sure won't be as good as it could be. The costumes will be pretty and the dance numbers might be fun, but the casting is not getting strong reviews, as well as the added stories. Come on - the genie needs a love interest????

I had a feeling that this would not be good when there were no advance reviews. I am hoping for better things when they release the new Lion King this summer. 

@Lisa now in AZ   The review in our newspaper today (which was not  written by a local reviewer but a national one) was very good.

I didn't know until I read that review that it was partially written and was directed by Guy Ritchie (Madonna's ex) who has had some real film disasters in the past. That's one reason I was kinda surprised by the very positive review.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee @Lisa now in AZ @My morning entertainment guy gave it a B grade; said you shouldn’t go by the commercials and previous bad press.  I admit that I had extremely high expectations for it, so I may be judging it very harshly. I still think it didn’t quite hit the mark, but the younger people in the audience clapped at the end of it.

Honored Contributor

On our way to see it this evening

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

I didn’t care for it, but I think it will be liked by people under 12 and over 55. Guy Ritchie usually does such a great job with action sequences, but this was just weak. The CGI was so poor. It’s hard to believe that it was the best they could do with Disney money. They should have hired someone with a Broadway background to do the musical sequences, because they were flat and uninspiring. I thought all the actors did really well. They were just all trapped in a really mediocre movie. It wasn’t terrible. It was about as good as the Beauty and the Beast remake, but nowhere near as awful as the Dumbo one.

Esteemed Contributor

Our local movie reviews gave it a 2 out of 4...so I won't pay to see it.

They ruined Dumbo with the remake...

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

FYI - not Aladdin but another give away at The Disney Store

Thanks, @drizzellla