Trusted Contributor

Re: Netflix Series - Tidying Up

Ok,  watched some of the shows today and it motivated me to start cleaning, I had all the clothes on the bed,  pretty shocking, but what do you do with the clothes that are one size too small.  The don't bring me joy, but they bring me hope, that I will loose that weight and get back into them,  any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

@TurnerGal I have had that situation too, where I was hoping to get back into something I used to wear. What I did was keep it for one year. If it didn't fit at the end of one year and it didn't appear I was moving my weight in the direction where I would be able to fit into it, I donated it.

As I look back, I don't regret giving it away. I did eventually lose the weight; however, my taste in clothes by that time had changed and I wouldn't have worn it anyway. ha!

Honored Contributor

I read her book a few years ago and was inspired by it. I had to modify her approach, however.  I've learned to keep only two kinds of items - those which spark joy and those which are necessary and functional.  For instance, I have several pairs of black pants that I wear to work. None of them spark joy, but I need them for work.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

In today's newspaper there is an article, they interviewed people that work in thrift stores. One thrift store commented that a lady came in with 18 black trash bags of items to be donated. They asked her why so many bags. Her reply was she watched the Marie Kondo series. And went through her stuff. 

They also said that donations have been picking up at other thrift stores too.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla I read something similar over the weekend; however, in the article I read (People magazine?), the charities were not too thrilled because they were getting so much stuff, more than they can handle or have employees/volunteers to go thru. 

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@drizzellla I read something similar over the weekend; however, in the article I read (People magazine?), the charities were not too thrilled because they were getting so much stuff, more than they can handle or have employees/volunteers to go thru. 

The article I read was from The Philadelphia Inquirer and written by Anna Orso. The article did briefly touch upon receiving more stuff that the store could handle. One store sells the items to a salvage company. And those hauls to the salvage company have been larger.

The article also mentioned a consignment shop saying after the holidays things low down and employees handling incoming garments can take a couple of days off. But not this year.

But most of the people bringing stuff in are "Marie Kondo-ing".

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

But most of the people bringing stuff in are "Marie Kondo-ing".

@drizzellla That's me! ha!

Honored Contributor

Just saw this 7-1/2 minute Jimmy Kimmel segment about how he had Marie Kondo come to his office and help him tidy up. Funny segment. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/marie-kondo-helps-jimmy-kimmel-tidy-up/vi-BBSVWB9

Honored Contributor

@1Professor  Just saw this article about storage units if you are doing the Kondo cleanup. Thought you might be interested in it.

From what I can tell, they are not purchased from her, but from various outlets. Loved the linen "window" containers for sweaters, etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/marie-kondo-your-home-with-32-organizers-that-mak...

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@1Professor  Just saw this article about storage units if you are doing the Kondo cleanup. Thought you might be interested in it.

From what I can tell, they are not purchased from her, but from various outlets. Loved the linen "window" containers for sweaters, etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/marie-kondo-your-home-with-32-organizers-that-mak...

@World Traveler : Actually, I have these! Many. Love the "window" part!

I was on the Kondo train before it went TV . . .

Smiles.