Super Contributor

Re: Netflix Series - Tidying Up

I watched a few episodes last night out of curiosity. I'm dumbstruck. Do people live like that?

Honestly, and I'm not kidding or bragging - anybody could walk into my house and look in our drawers, closets, garage and basement and see that everything is organized and has a place. I've been using small boxes all of my life. Heck, I have shelves in my kitchen cabinets that don't even have anything on them! Admittedly, we just remodeled our kitchen and had to take it all apart and put it back together. When we were deciding where to put things, we made several boxes of things we weren't using that went to Goodwill.

But the clothing? Everything is folded and neat in our drawers and things are hung carefully in closets that are not too squished with clothes.

Maybe I should have done a show like this -- if a 63-year-old, gray-haired lady with muscular dystrophy (true story) can keep her home clean, neat and organized - you can too! Smiley Very Happy

I didn't read a book or study this concept - I learned it from my parents. 

Respected Contributor

I hope the show comes back with more episodes soon and perhaps revisits the original families to see if they are keeping things up.

Super Contributor

I am our family's genealogist and I have gobs and gobs of papers. My solution is to scan them so I "have" them; then I can throw a lot of it out.

I'm not sure why this isn't used as a paper solution?

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr Excellent idea. That's what we do at work. Scan and shred.

Respected Contributor

I thought with paper it was more on how to keep (and how many to keep) personal papers such as cards and photos rather than a bunch of papers such as old utility bills and receipts that no one is going to ever need anyway.

I hope that young writer didn't get rid of stuff he'll regret later.

I also think that young woman could have kept the last dress her grandmother bought for her. I've seen people frame clothing and hang it on the wall.

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

@1Professor Have you watched the series, which started on January 1? If so, what was your take on it?

Ever since you mentioned Marie Kondo's book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying, which I purchased, I have been interested in her way of organization. 

I am super organized, but enjoy hearing what she has to say about why she has the people tidy up in certain sequences. Totally agree with her that the sentimental items should be last. So far she has not gone into too much detail on tidying up papers.

I have watched the first five episodes. Some of it I speed thru, but when she talks I like to hear her give some good information.

The only thing I disagree with her on is how she folds clothes. The way she shows it, there are way more creases that could happen. She folds a top in from each side (2 creases), then folds in half (1 crease), then folds in thirds (3 creases). And if an item has sleeves, then there are another two creases. She also rolls, like scarves, which is what I do with my scarves.

I see the benefit of stacking things vertically, but all those creases are not what I want to deal with when I grab something to put on each day when I go to work, or wherever.

Do like the idea of putting everything out.....all the clothes on the bed (take out of the closets and drawers, etc.). It is quite an eye-opener. Then as you pick each one up, if it brings joy to you holding it, keep it; otherwise, dispose of it.

There was one household where you could not see from one side of the bed to the other. And then there was one guy who had around 150 pairs of sneakers, which he got down to keeping 45.

I felt badly for the lady who lost her husband nine months earlier and was still holding onto his clothes. But she was able to take them all out of the closets and take to charity organizations. 

@World Traveler

Did she do the “spark joy” test on her husband’s clothes or just put them in a bag?

Apparently there was a way to submit videos to be considered for an episode. I wonder how one finds out about things like that. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

I felt badly for the lady who lost her husband nine months earlier and was still holding onto his clothes. But she was able to take them all out of the closets and take to charity organizations. 

@World Traveler

Did she do the “spark joy” test on her husband’s clothes or just put them in a bag?

Apparently there was a way to submit videos to be considered for an episode. I wonder how one finds out about things like that. 

@esmerelda As I recall the episode, she touched them lovingly as she took them out of the closet and put them in something to take to charity. I believe he had died nine months earlier, but it was still hard for her to part with them.

Marie wanted her to wait and do it last, after cleaning out all her other things in the house, simply because sentimental things are harder to let go of. But the widow wanted to do it right after she had cleaned out her own clothes. 

Honored Contributor

Just saw this on the Internet. Story about how much money Marie makes doing her tidying up business.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/heres-how-much-money-marie-kondo-has-earned-from-organ...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just watched the episode with the widow and found it very touching.  I think she did a great job organizing.  

The show would be more interesting to me if they showed details on what storage containers were used to hold certain things, and how specific items were handled, like junk drawer stuff, etc.