Honored Contributor

Re: Netflix Series - Tidying Up

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

After viewing two episodes and seeing the beginning of the third, I realize that my house really isn't so bad at all!  I hate clutter and though I need to clean out some closets my house is pretty good. 

In the first episode, the family was dealing with two toddlers and I'm long past that stage now.  In the second the husband & wife who were empty nesters were basically hoarders.  Even when they were finished, I thought that their house still looked a bit messy and it really could have used a freshening up. New paint and new furniture to replace the beat up old pieces could give it a whole updated look!

My jaw dropped when I saw the clothes that the empty nester woman had piled on the bed and then the Christmas decorations—oh my😱

Honored Contributor

@tansy . Should have been an episode from Hoarders!  Now don't you feel better about your own home after seeing that?!!  How can people live like that and they seemed pretty happy...it would make me feel very depressed and everything out of control in my home.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

After viewing two episodes and seeing the beginning of the third, I realize that my house really isn't so bad at all!  I hate clutter and though I need to clean out some closets my house is pretty good. 

In the first episode, the family was dealing with two toddlers and I'm long past that stage now.  In the second the husband & wife who were empty nesters were basically hoarders.  Even when they were finished, I thought that their house still looked a bit messy and it really could have used a freshening up. New paint and new furniture to replace the beat up old pieces could give it a whole updated look!

@haddon9- I've watched 5 of the episodes so far and I agree about Episode 2, the husband and wife.  There is a difference between "we need to declutter" and hoarding.  They're hoarders.  And the after didn't look too good to me.  All that "stuff" gives me anxiety.

Episode 1 with the toddlers- couldn't the grandparents have watched the kids while a few of the visits took place?  I got tired of the kids to be honest.

And along those lines, I know it's different times than when I grew up (born in 1955), but my parents raised two children and our house was always neat and tidy and didn't have so much stuff.  There's just too much excess anymore- across the board.

The episode with the widow- I really felt for her.  But while the living space of her house looked really good, when she'd open cabinets and drawers and closets with just stuff crammed in there, I just want to scream- "get rid of this stuff!"  Not necessarily her husband's things, that's more emotional to tackle, but just so much stuff..

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I just finished episode 6, the couple trying to decide if they want to have a third child. 

The wife drove me bonkers. Again, there’s a line between keeping things and being a hoarder. The amount of stuff in their house would suffocate me. Just how many things does a family of four need?  And she was agonizing over each item in each category. I have no patience for it. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is all new to me, never heard of the show.  Out of curiosity I am going to watch it, however, since I have always been a great organizer, disliking clutter, I managed to keep my homes free of things we didn't need.  Now my daughter on the other hand...needs all the help she can get.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I just finished episode 6, the couple trying to decide if they want to have a third child. 

The wife drove me bonkers. Again, there’s a line between keeping things and being a hoarder. The amount of stuff in their house would suffocate me. Just how many things does a family of four need?  And she was agonizing over each item in each category. I have no patience for it. 

There’s another episode with a young couple expecting their first child.  That man drove mew bonkers with his extensive collection of tennis shoes.  He wanted to keep tennis shoes that he had outgrown 😏

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@haddon9- I've watched 5 of the episodes so far and I agree about Episode 2, the husband and wife.  There is a difference between "we need to declutter" and hoarding.  They're hoarders.  And the after didn't look too good to me.  All that "stuff" gives me anxiety.

Episode 1 with the toddlers- couldn't the grandparents have watched the kids while a few of the visits took place?  I got tired of the kids to be honest.

And along those lines, I know it's different times than when I grew up (born in 1955), but my parents raised two children and our house was always neat and tidy and didn't have so much stuff.  There's just too much excess anymore- across the board.

The episode with the widow- I really felt for her.  But while the living space of her house looked really good, when she'd open cabinets and drawers and closets with just stuff crammed in there, I just want to scream- "get rid of this stuff!"  Not necessarily her husband's things, that's more emotional to tackle, but just so much stuff..

@gidgetgh . I felt the same way about the family with the toddlers.  I found them to be distracting being there each time.  Yes it was certainly a different era when we grew up...(I'm a year older than you) there was a whole lot less stuff & kids didn't have to be front and center each time adults were doing something with other adults.

I didn't see the episode with the widow and will have to continue viewing the show...but honestly after seeing how some people live my place looks fantastic! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

This is all new to me, never heard of the show.  Out of curiosity I am going to watch it, however, since I have always been a great organizer, disliking clutter, I managed to keep my homes free of things we didn't need.  Now my daughter on the other hand...needs all the help she can get.

@Lindsays Grandma- Marie Kondo’s Book is terrific. Short read. 

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

There’s another episode with a young couple expecting their first child.  That man drove mew bonkers with his extensive collection of tennis shoes.  He wanted to keep tennis shoes that he had outgrown 😏

@tansy- I’m going to watch that episode today. I consider myself fortunate in a way. I don’t get overly emotionally attached to most things. Now, I have some belongings that I would never ever get rid of.  They truly spark joy and I have emotional attachment, but most of the things?  No attachment. The wife in episode 6 drove me bonkers because she had the same emotional attachment to every single item in her home. Category didn’t matter. She didn’t care if it was a used plastic fork or the family Bible, she labored over every single item. It’s so opposite to how I am that I have a hard time even watching it. Again, I have no patience for it. 

Honored Contributor

I’m a huge fan of Marie Kondo’s method of decluttering and keeping what brings you joy.  I was a pretty early reader of her book and have incorporated many of her ideas into our home. 

My comment on the series so far is that I’d like them to spend more time on the actual process. I realize each episode is only 30 minutes long but I think they spend way too much time on the back story at the beginning. And then multiple ringings of the doorbell for each visit by Marie and the meet and greet after they open the door. I think they waste a lot of the 30 minutes with useless stuff. 

So far, most of the afters to me don’t look like they fully completed the process. I think the two guys did well and the widow, but some of the others just had less stuff, but I still didn’t think they were very organized.