Honored Contributor

@1Professor Have you watched the series, which started on January 1? If so, what was your take on it?

Ever since you mentioned Marie Kondo's book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying, which I purchased, I have been interested in her way of organization. 

I am super organized, but enjoy hearing what she has to say about why she has the people tidy up in certain sequences. Totally agree with her that the sentimental items should be last. So far she has not gone into too much detail on tidying up papers.

I have watched the first five episodes. Some of it I speed thru, but when she talks I like to hear her give some good information.

The only thing I disagree with her on is how she folds clothes. The way she shows it, there are way more creases that could happen. She folds a top in from each side (2 creases), then folds in half (1 crease), then folds in thirds (3 creases). And if an item has sleeves, then there are another two creases. She also rolls, like scarves, which is what I do with my scarves.

I see the benefit of stacking things vertically, but all those creases are not what I want to deal with when I grab something to put on each day when I go to work, or wherever.

Do like the idea of putting everything out.....all the clothes on the bed (take out of the closets and drawers, etc.). It is quite an eye-opener. Then as you pick each one up, if it brings joy to you holding it, keep it; otherwise, dispose of it.

There was one household where you could not see from one side of the bed to the other. And then there was one guy who had around 150 pairs of sneakers, which he got down to keeping 45.

I felt badly for the lady who lost her husband nine months earlier and was still holding onto his clothes. But she was able to take them all out of the closets and take to charity organizations. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Netflix Series - Tidying Up

[ Edited ]

I watched the first episode and will watch the rest of them. I have read her first book and appreciate much of her approach. That being said, I pick and choose what works for me. I am already someone who is very organized but I certainly want to downsize my belongings; I find the “spark joy” question to be helpful. DH laughs at my underwear drawer compared to his, but I feel good when I open it. I found my own way to fold things that suits me better and I still hang most of my clothes.

Honored Contributor

I read her first book a few years ago and have watched the first five episodes of her new show. 

I think she has terrific ideas, many of which I’ve incorporated.  I threw away a pair of my husband’s Pajamas last week and thanked them before I did. 

She totally has the right idea about keeping what brings you joy. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I think she has terrific ideas, many of which I’ve incorporated.  I threw away a pair of my husband’s Pajamas last week and thanked them before I did. 

She totally has the right idea about keeping what brings you joy. 

@gidgetgh Smiley LOL

I still haven't gotten into the "thank you" part of what I dispose of, but I am going to try that like she said. Your comment just made me laugh though. That's cute! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@1Professor Have you watched the series, which started on January 1? If so, what was your take on it?

Ever since you mentioned Marie Kondo's book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying, which I purchased, I have been interested in her way of organization. 

I am super organized, but enjoy hearing what she has to say about why she has the people tidy up in certain sequences. Totally agree with her that the sentimental items should be last. So far she has not gone into too much detail on tidying up papers.

I have watched the first five episodes. Some of it I speed thru, but when she talks I like to hear her give some good information.

The only thing I disagree with her on is how she folds clothes. The way she shows it, there are way more creases that could happen. She folds a top in from each side (2 creases), then folds in half (1 crease), then folds in thirds (3 creases). And if an item has sleeves, then there are another two creases. She also rolls, like scarves, which is what I do with my scarves.

I see the benefit of stacking things vertically, but all those creases are not what I want to deal with when I grab something to put on each day when I go to work, or wherever.

Do like the idea of putting everything out.....all the clothes on the bed (take out of the closets and drawers, etc.). It is quite an eye-opener. Then as you pick each one up, if it brings joy to you holding it, keep it; otherwise, dispose of it.

There was one household where you could not see from one side of the bed to the other. And then there was one guy who had around 150 pairs of sneakers, which he got down to keeping 45.

I felt badly for the lady who lost her husband nine months earlier and was still holding onto his clothes. But she was able to take them all out of the closets and take to charity organizations. 

@World Traveler

So glad you connected with Marie Kondo!

I do not have Netflix, so cannot watch, alas.

I think folding can be individualized. Remember, many people don't have a CLUE about folding; anyone with a logical way to do it, including how to stack in drawers and shelves, just apply!

The realization that we own TOO much, things that take our energy but never get used, duplicate things, things that no longer suit us, things that were purchased but never actually used: WOW.  I read her regularly to get my FIX on undoing those mental habits.

Smiles!

Honored Contributor

I read her book a few years ago and didn't realize that she had a series on Netflix...I just went over to Netflix to see and it was the first thing to come up!  Too funny!!!  Now I'm off to watch.

Honored Contributor

I have always lived incorporating "less is more" in all areas of life. 

Marie's pausing in the beginning thanking the home quite moving. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn’t care for her book much, but I do like her show so far.  I don’t understand her reasoning about folding tee-shirts though.  I either roll or hang mine.  Husband rolls his very smoothly.

Paper is my biggest challenge and I haven’t seen much on that yet.

She sure seems to be full of joy Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@tansy Yes, she sure does seem full of joy. It appears so far they are filming each of these in the Southern California region. 

I have watched them all now and am curious to know when there will be more. Hope that isn't it for the year and we have to wait until January of next year! Smiley Sad

As I mentioned in my first post, I think the way she folds produces more creases; however, I see the advantage of being able to see everything easily when stacked vertically. Perhaps she thinks by folding you spend more time "appreciating" what you have. I know she sort of touched on that sentiment.

Honored Contributor

After viewing two episodes and seeing the beginning of the third, I realize that my house really isn't so bad at all!  I hate clutter and though I need to clean out some closets my house is pretty good. 

In the first episode, the family was dealing with two toddlers and I'm long past that stage now.  In the second the husband & wife who were empty nesters were basically hoarders.  Even when they were finished, I thought that their house still looked a bit messy and it really could have used a freshening up. New paint and new furniture to replace the beat up old pieces could give it a whole updated look!