Esteemed Contributor

Netflix Recommendation - The Bonfire of Destiny

I recently finished watching this and enjoyed it so much I thought I'd share it here. It's a French drama mini-series, filmed in December 2019, that has recently been streaming on Netflix and, no worries, it's been dubbed in English so no need for subtitles (I hate subtitles, lol).

The summary from Netflix reads "On a spring day in 1897, socialites Adrienne and Alice and maid Rose join the crowds at a Parisian charity bazaar, where a shocking tragedy unfolds."

It begins with the depiction of a true event, the fire at the Bazar de la Charite in Paris in which 126 people died. Even though they're not real the fire scenes are a little disturbing so thankfully there's fast forward for those of us who are squeamish. From there the plot revolves around the aftermath of the fire and follows the lives of the three women mentioned. 

It's an eight episode miniseries with each episode approx 50 minutes long so it's a bit of a commitment but, imo, well worth it. If you choose to watch let us know what you think. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did. No news yet as to whether or not there will be a season two. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Netflix Recommendation - The Bonfire of Destiny

ThankYou-smiley.gif@SusieQ_2   for providing a synopsis.  

I have 2 1/2 rows of series & documentaries in my "wait list." Smiley Surprised

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I enjoyed this series when it first came out on Netflix, the 'Rose' situation was kind of sad if I remember correctly..

Esteemed Contributor

I hear that @Mz iMac. We're not lacking for entertainment these days. I read on the thread you posted about covid test and masks (thank you, I placed my order) that you're going to a pain clinic soon for the first time. I hope that works out well for you. Being in pain is the worst. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SoCal Bred , I glad you liked it. You remember correctly, the Rose storyline was sad but also happy in a way. I think Adrienne and Camille could use a second season and I'd also like to see what happens with Alice--who I thought for the entire eight episodes was named Elise until I read the synopsis! It was probably their accents. Smiley Very Happy

Regular Contributor

@SusieQ_2  Thank you so much for this recommendation! I watched this miniseries in one day and really enjoyed it!

I would highly recommend.

Esteemed Contributor

@skincaremaven You're welcome and I'm so glad you liked it! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I watched it shortly after it came out and thought it was excellent. Hard to watch in places with that tragic event.