Esteemed Contributor

Re: NetFlix: "13 Reasons Why"

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@qualitygal, I agree with you, this was good.

For anyone who's not familiar with "13 Reasons Why" it's based on a young-adult book about a high school student who kills herself leaving behind a set of cassette tapes naming people who wronged her and why she did it. It deals with bullying, depression, and suicide.

Wow, that sounds like a real downer, but it's a good series and the acting is really good. Selena Gomez was an executive producer.

If you have Netflix it's worth checking out.

I finished the series last weekend.  My niece is a big fan of the book and we both thought this would be a wonderful discussion series for high school students.  I would just like to add that the series does deal with bulling, depression and suicide, it also give the viewers a glimps of how teenagers think and rationalize situations.  I will not go into specifices to spoil it for anyone, however a couple of the situations were not what Hannah thought they were. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

This IS a really good show! I don't normally binge watch anything, but it's like a good book that you just can't put down! I wouldn't normally post about a show, but it's so good, I was about to when I searched & saw @qualitygal already had!!  Didn't think it'd be my cup of tea, either, since it's been 40 yrs since I've been in high school, but definately worth watching!!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see all controversies the show is causing.  I think it handles many difficult topics tastefully and would be a wonderful way to start a discussion about them. 

Heard this morning that it was renewed for a second season.  Not sure if they continue with this group of students or take on a second group with different circumstances. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I binge watched this show this weekend. It was gripping. I too wanted Clay to listen to the tapes quicker. They did a really good job of showing the topic from all sides -- the victim and everyone that was left behind to deal with it. 

You really see how intertwined people's actions and reactions are. 

I read that there is going to be a second season to follow up on the unfinished stories. 

I finished the last episode several hours ago and am still processing the emotions -- it really did touch something in me.