Honored Contributor

Need a spoiler on Breaking Bad

As relatively new Netflix customers, we have started watching Breaking Bad.  For some reason we didn't get it here originally.  I remember it being praised critically, but no one seemed to like the ending.  So can someone please tell me how this turns out before I invest 53 hours and get steamed at the ending.  I don't expect sunshine and roses, but I want something realistic.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Need a spoiler on Breaking Bad

[ Edited ]

I was actually very pleased with the ending.  The writers of this show are just the best and found a way to tie up all the story lines, while leaving enough to start the spinoff Better Call Saul and the movie "El Camino" that was released last year.  Without getting into a lot of detail, *most* of the major characters are dead at the end of the series. Keep going, you won't be disappointed.

Honored Contributor

The best part, it was filmed in New Mexico, mostly Albuquerque. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I envy you watching "Breaking Bad" for the first time.  Every minute spent watching this series is worth it.  And there are only three tv series I can make that statement about, "The Wire", "Breaking Bad", and "Fargo". 

Honored Contributor

IMHO, BEST ending EVER!  Every detail in the finale was perfect, including the song they used!

Best series, best acting and especially best writing!

Honored Contributor

OK, you all sold me.  DH will be so happy to get away from the news and network drivel that is on right now.  Thanks so much !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I disagreed with the ending.

I found it disturbing that Walter's kids end up with financial security after he left other children without parents/grandparents.

Mikes' granddaughter, Lydia's daughter, all the workers who did their time, kept their mouths shut, and had their families taken care of by Gus-everyone who ended up with nothing while Walter's kids have a secure future.

Marie, Gomez, everyone who lost because of Walter's ego and greed.

Dirty money is dirty money and I felt in the end it would have been better that it was all for nothing-all the pain, all the sorrow, all the harm Walter caused everyone.

I was glad Jesse made it out-I always felt BB was about him more than Walter anyway.

Skylar's future being left up to the imagination-I was fine with that, although she became complicit in the whole drug trade, too.

Had the Hayes Code still be in effect, nobody would have ended up with any money at all.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

This is a great series; when you finish it watch " Better Call Saul" ( many of same characters ) and a similar, well written series is "The Americans".  I believe both of those series are now on Netflix. " The Americans" is my all time favorite series.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

As relatively new Netflix customers, we have started watching Breaking Bad.  For some reason we didn't get it here originally.  I remember it being praised critically, but no one seemed to like the ending.  So can someone please tell me how this turns out before I invest 53 hours and get steamed at the ending.  I don't expect sunshine and roses, but I want something realistic.  

@depglass  

BB is an excellent series but how you view the ending will be a personal choice.

If you just started watching, the ending will be too involved to explain.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

IMHO, BEST ending EVER!  Every detail in the finale was perfect, including the song they used!

Best series, best acting and especially best writing!

@RespectLife 

I was quite satisfied with the finale.  Once the music started, I was snotting up.

The last few episodes were riveting.  I even call our neighbor's cat Felina...

The downside, of course, is that I live in Albuquerque and I work in a psychiatric emergency room.  Meth has destroyed this community.

Part of me is tempted to blame some of this on the series.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~