Trusted Contributor

Need Audio Book Recommendations for Teens

In a few weeks, I am moving across the country and taking a 4-5 day road trip with teenagers, ages 16-19. One of the things I am planning on to pass the time is listening to audio books. I know what I would select, but I am trying to think of some good titles that we would all enjoy. 

My oldest enjoys fantasy type books (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc) and my youngest seems to gravitate toward John Green-type books (The Fault in Our Stars, Looking for Alaska). However, I am not opposed to selecting titles that might turn them on to something new. Of the three of us, I am the biggest reader...and a big believer in a great story is a good book regardless of the genre, so I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Need Audio Book Recommendations for Teens

A series I plan on reading is the Grisha series by  Leigh Bardugo.

Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, and Ruin and Rising.

Shadow and Bone | Leigh Bardugo

Ruin and Rising | Leigh BardugoSiege and Storm | Leigh Bardugo

Honored Contributor

Are you listening to the audio books through a smart phone? If so, you may also want to consider Podcasts. There are some fantastic podcasts available that are free and good for teens and adults. Many are between 20  minutes and an hour.

Here are some of my favorites:

• StarTalk - Neil DeGrasse Tyson's interview show focusing on space and science. The episodes about the science of superheroes are great!
  • RadioLab - A science podcast that does some great things with audio and tells interesting stories
  • The Thrilling Adventure Hour - Done like an old time radio show, this has everything from a Nick and Nora Charles set of investigators who specialize in the paranormal to a space cowboy named Sparks Nevada. Captain Laserbeam is a 60s type superhero show that has a lot of puns. The Sparks Nevada episodes are serialized and should be listened to in order, but the others are not. They are all hilarious and I think kids would especially love Sparks Nevada and Captain Laserbeam.
  • Stuff You Should Know - Each episode has a new topic and they range from "How do filibusters work?" to "Was there a real King Arthur?" They hosts are engaging and they make boring topics interesting.
  • Welcome to Night Vale - This is done as a local radio broadcast, but as you listen, you begin to figure out that Night Vale is a very strange town and something is not quite right about Night Vale. It's creepy, but not too creepy, and funny. It's a little like The War of the Worlds broadcast meets The Twilight Zone meets Men in Black.
  • Serial - This is the most successful podcast in history and has spun off other podcasts after it finished its first season. It's a real true crime story about a teenager who was sent to prison for the murder of his girlfriend, but it seems very likely that he is innocent and was unjustly convicted. Serial ended and the boy, now a 33 year-old man who has spent nearly half his life in prison, is getting a new trial because of evidence uncovered in Serial. When Serial ended, another podcast, called Undisclosed, took the story even further. This would be a great podcast to start some discussions about right and wrong and the justice system. Serial is finished with this story, but Undisclosed is still publishing new episodes once a week.
Respected Contributor

the Orphan Train.

Trusted Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

the Orphan Train.

I've been wanting to read this book. I checked it out of the library about a year ago (?) and never got around to reading it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Trusted Contributor

Wow, ChynnaBlue, what a great list! I was thinking of Steven Johnson's How We Got to Now, which I loved. 

Respected Contributor

On  her facebook page today Lisa R asked a similar question about recommending a book her and 13 year niece could read together and she's received a lot of suggestions.