Honored Contributor

Natalie Wood: What Remains Behind (HBO in May)

[ Edited ]

I got a newsletter from AARP today about shows worth watching this spring.  It was talking about a documentary on HBO in May about Natalie Wood.  I thought she was so beautiful and have always been fascinated by her.

I don't get HBO.  How long does it usually take for something like this on HBO to be available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.  I would really like to see it.  

This is what the write up said:

"Don't expect this documentary to solve the lingering mystery of the movie legend's death by drowning in 1981. Instead, it focuses on her life: how a child of Russian immigrants became a star, at age 9, in Miracle on 34th Street, and went on to date Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and Warren Beatty. The film promises never-before-seen photos and home movies, as well as interviews with daughter Natasha Gregson Wagner, 49 — one of the doc's producers — and Robert Wagner, 90, whom Natalie married twice."

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Natalie Wood: What Remains Behind (HBO in May)

@NickNack : I'm not sure how long it takes to get to another channel but a year or two is average. Another option is to subscribe to HBO, watch your movie  and then unsubscribe.

Esteemed Contributor

I have seen programs on her.  I guess her mother was a real "Stage Mom", really pushing her and getting her into films.  I got the impression that she did not necessarily have a happy childhood.  I would like to see that special too.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

Thank you! 

I do get HBO and will be on the lookout for this documentary.  Since I am paying a ridiculous amount for my AT&T U-verse cable, I don't subscribe to Amazon Prime or Netflix, so I can't answer you about the time-line before this  would be released.  

Honored Contributor

I am pretty sure I am remembering this story right.

Robert Osborne told the story, when he was starting out as a reporter. He was sent to interview Natalie Wood. He had his questions written on notes. He was nervous and the questions were in no particular order. And Natalie Wood sat down on the ground with him and helped Robert Osborne arranging his notes  and picking out the best questions for him to ask. 

He always had a soft spot for her. Because he said she was so nice to him and spent time to make sure he got a good interview.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Robert Osborne told the story, when he was starting out as a reporter. He was sent to interview Natalie Wood. He had his questions written on notes. He was nervous and the questions were in no particular order. And Natalie Wood sat down on the ground with him and helped Robert Osborne arranging his notes  and picking out the best questions for him to ask. 

He always had a soft spot for her. Because he said she was so nice to him and spent time to make sure he got a good interview.

That is a great story!  I always admired her too....so talented, and so beautiful.  She and Wagner seemed to have such a charmed life and family. A horrible, tragic ending to her life, way too young.

Respected Contributor

Love Natalie Wood, she is the rare child actress who became a major star. would like to see this doc. i guess i would sign up for a week or whatever trial HBO offers.  i no longer have HBO but i do have Amazon and most of HBOs docs are listed on Amazon but when you select the program a box indicates you must watch with an HBO subscription.  But they give a trial suggestion.  There are a couple very old docs that are free. i wonder if it is the production company that releases the rights or HBO. i really dislike this HBO/SHOWTIME/STARZ blockade. They are so last century. i had the pkgs for years and i know they have to make $$$. But unless they have a premier movie or program their content is marginal and very repetitive.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@drizzellla   Thanks for sharing this story.  That's very interesting and makes her sound like a good person.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That documentary sounds interesting.

I always got a kick out of Natalie Wood's feistiness. When her daughter was less than a year old, and she learned that her husband, Gregson, was carrying on with her secretaryanimated-shocked-smiley-image-0065.gif, she tossed his belongings out a window lol and kicked him out. (No word on whether RJ did the same during her affair with Warren Beatty.) Then, when he tried to come back, she had cops stationed on the property.

She didn't take any kwap, that's for sure.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

I 'still' almost can't believe that she's gone. 

Same re: John K. Jr.

And I sometimes think about Grace Kelly and Princess Diana.

Probably others that I'll think of later.

RIP

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).